Cougars, Reptiles and Bears. Oh My! Question for Hikers, Outdoor Enthusiasts and Hunters

by Robdar 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Professor and I are going to the Smokey Mountains next week for white water rafting and hiking. Although I adore animals, I am a little nervous about the wild life I might encounter while on the hiking trails. In particular I am worried about bears, cougars and snakes. We are renting a cabin so I am not too worried about being mauled in our sleep; however, we are going to be outdoors as much as possible.

If we see a snake, we will, of course, run in the opposite direction. But what can you do if you come face to face with claws and fangs? Does anybody have any pointers? Should we buy a can of mace and a sharp pointy stick? If attacked, should we kick the bear in a bicycle pedaling motion as Stephen Colbert suggests? Any information and/or suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/181598/february-23-2006/threatdown---bears

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/210979/december-01-2008/exclusive---godless-killing-machines-mash-up?xrs=share_copy

• sinis
    sinis

Make sure you stock up on a few items. For the snake issue, boots or snake guards that go up to your knees - the guards are pretty cheap. If you have a gun that is always a good thing - I tend not to blast something until other options have been exhausted - but that really depends on how much time you have. Bear mace is awesome and unless you pissed off momma bear (be aware of cubs in the area and head the opposite way while looking for momma) it will repel them. Don't leave any food or bait in your car, on the porch and make sure any trash is kept in a bear proof can (most cabins have these). Have fun, don't be too paranoid - good feel for the area is to call the local ranger and ask them about wildlife conditions activity for the area you are staying in.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thank you Sinis! Those are very good pointers. I've heard cars are relatively easy for a bear to break into for goodies. And I didn't know about bear mace or snake guards. Do you think they might carry bear mace at Walmart?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I always worry about stuff like that, too. However, I don't think bears are so much a danger unless you surprise one or come between a momma and her cubs. Make a lot of noise out in the wild.

Mountain lions or cougars are another story. I think they are more dangerous, they will stalk humans. However, I don't think it happens often. Stay aware of your surroundings.

• sinis
    sinis

Walmart may carry them depending on the store location. You could probably find them at a sports store, military surplus store, etc. I spend a great deal out in the wild and have never had to kill or spray anything. Just be aware of your surroundings. Closest I came was being cornered by ring tail cats - whole pack of them. Nasty bastards but they were protecting their young. Just backed up slowly kept them in my eye, never turned to my back, and found another route when safely away. I think the furry critters are just as scared of us as we are of them at times.... Noise (your mere presence) scares most away before you even see them... they will always smell or see you long before you see them. Now if I were in grizzly country, thats a whole nother ball park...

Been 50 feet from a mountain lion hunting rabbits - night time event. Was actually very interesting, rabbits scream like little babies when caught by a predator. Mountain lion had no interest in us... just checking out the fire and the other animals (prey) drawn by the fire light.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've spent large parts of the past 60 years tramping around the woods and other back country. I've seen several bear, two rattlesankes and no cougars in the wild. I don't think the smokies have many cougars and the bears will be black bears. Best avoidance techniques - don't carry much food and make some noise. They will leave you alone. If you see a snake, don't go running around. They tend to live in groups and the one you can see we will crawl away if you let him. They are unlikely to bite anything as big as a person unless scared, such as when you step on it running away from his buddy.

You are more likely to be seriously injured by bees, raccons or skunks - the later two are smart, mean and can carry rabies.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hortensia, I worry about the mountain lions too. I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and dont recall hearing stories of mountain lions because they were hunted to near extinction. That all has changed, however, and my dad told me he saw one not too long ago. If the big cats are back where I grew up, I can only assume there are bigger populations in the Smokey's. If I recall correctly, mountain cats hunt in the morning and evening. Maybe it would be best to be in the cabin during those times. Thank you very much for your input.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sinis, what in the world is a ring tailed cat? Just the thought of it gives me the ooogies. And you said the mountain lion was hunting at night??? Crikey!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Jeff, I had no idea that snakes can live in groups. I am definitely going to invest in the snake guards Sinis spoke about.

A few years ago I was sitting on my front porch about 3 in the morning and had 2 very cocky racoons get too close for comfort. I lived in the city and was very surprised to say the least. I jumped up and went in the house because I saw the fangs on those little buggers. Since then, I respect racoons.

Thank you for your valuable advice.

• sinis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit