Any workout junkies in here?

by NomadSoul 26 Replies latest jw friends

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I need to get back into my routine. Just trying to find some good motivation to keep on track. Starting today I'm going to work out 30 mins on weights one day, and the next day 1 hour running or walking. Going to rest on the weekend, and probably just get a light workout done.

What's your workout routine?

• shamus100
    shamus100

A) Don't overdue it, EVER! Get back into it very slowly - you will not get anywhere being one of those workout weirdo's that goes to the gym every day.

B) Walking is great. Speed walking, or better, ski walking is great. Throw in bursts of sprinting ski walking uphill for 30 seconds at a time once you feel comfortable with your aerobic and want to work on your anaerobic side.

C) Use the outdoors as much as possible, and enjoy it. Do your best to avoid the gym and the inevitable 'screamers' in the weight room. (I think they should be shot immediately on sound)

D) Cut ALL sugar out of your diet. Simple but true. Also, cut out alcohol and eat fresh fruit and vegetables as a snack.

Doing the following has made me slim, but I'm still, sadly, gay fat. :(

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Well I'm not too concerned about losing weight, it's not much I have to lose. I want to get back into form so I can start playing some competitve sports around my area. I usually go Mt Biking during the summer but this heat has held me hostage. Enough is enough!

• talesin
    talesin

Some tai chi and yoga stretches, and focussed breathing every day,,, plus walk, walk, walk 1-2 hours per day ,,,,

I love lifting weights,,, have found that it's best to have a 'gym partner' for this as motivation, and haven't been for years. I do have a couple of pop bottles that I filled with sand, and do some light weights for upper body strength at home ...

No walking atm, as I have a bum foot,,, but what a difference since I can't walk :( !!! It's the BEST exercise in the world.

Also, what Shamus said ...

tal

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I worked out like a demon when I was younger. Wanted to be a wrestler. I still do it occasionally. If you are serious I would suggest watching the movie Pumping Iron at least 5 times and reading ArnoldĀ“s Book the Encyclopedia of bodybuilding. Invaluable information.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Nomad...if your thread title was "Any workout dabblers in here?" that would be me. Was in the best shape of my life about 5 years ago....lots of running, mtn biking, and weight lifting. I've slid a lot since...granted had some bad sciatic issues for a while.

I want to play some hockey this winter so I need to get back at it too. Love mtn biking and live in a great area for it...west coast BC. Maybe this thread will be a motivator.

Not sure I can do Shamus' D item though. No sugar OR alchohol? Crazy monkey.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What Shamus said... Figure out something you will enjoy, works for your body, and that you will be able to stick to. And mix things up to keep yourself interested. Find someone to exercise with, if that works for you.

For me, right now it's summer. I run when it isn't too hot, track my mileage and times. I have to pay attention to my feet, a little pain strengthens things, a little too much pain means I have to stop for recovery.

I hit the weights. During summer, I use the muscles a lot anyway, so I only lift about 2x per week. Running also greatly reduces upper body strength and size. During winter, I pump iron about 5x. That frequency requires splitting body parts on different days... chest, shoulders, back, abs, arms, legs. Everybody is different biologically, so what works for me might not work for others. I can't seem to get lean enough for beachworthy 6-pack abs, my body thinks I'm starving and reacts accordingly.

Motivation? Now I can look in the mirror and remind myself that I don't want to be where I was. In the last year and a half I've lost about 30 pounds besides moving weight to muscle. No, I'm not young anymore, and keeping fit isn't "easy", but I'm doing the best with what I have.

• talesin
    talesin

I can't seem to get lean enough for beachworthy 6-pack abs,

Don't blame your workout,, that is genetic ... some folks can get a 6-pack, but most will never be able to achieve that 'look' no matter how hard they work out,,, it's another advertising fantasy --- it is akin to us women seeing the fashion models,,, we are not built 6' tall with C cup boobs ....

:D

• shamus100
    shamus100

WEll, if you want to mountain bike and train for it, get your aerobic down pat and go anaerobic. But again, for the love of god and all things holy, DO NOT overdue it! If you feel tired, rest. If your muscles are stiff, don't work them out until it goes away - you're going too hard. Unless you do want to be an arnie big muscled freakoid, and in that case, I have no information other than yuck!

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I like the advice so far. It's motivating me a bit more to hear from you guys.

Unshackled, that's the main reason why I want to start a workout regime. I hit a trail that I used to be able to complete in an hour without getting too tired. I couldn't even finish half of it!

And you do live in a perfect area for mt biking. I live in Texas, so the trails here are not that beautiful but I still enjoy them. One day I want to go to Colorado and try those trails.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit