What was the JW breaking point 4 U?

by ashitaka 61 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

We have a thread that asks why we became JW's, so I became curious as to why some of us have left. What was the last straw for you?

Mine was the treatment of my wife. She was controlled her whole life by her parents and the congregation, and when she finally said no, they either shunned, gossiped about or abandoned her.

Doctrinally, finding out about the many 607 discrepancies, and the Nazi stuff in the 1934 yearbook were the big ones for me. I WOULD NOT link myself to a religion who tried to get IN BED WITH HITLER before they 'opposed him'.

How about you guys?

ashi

• Rummy1
    Rummy1

Without a doubt for me it was the turnaround on education
    Also the generation stuff,never been so confused in my life!
    When you think about it the whole thing's a load of baloney

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

They don't have a dental plan.

Slipnslidemaster: "Just because I look sexy on the cover of Rolling Stone doesn't mean I'm naughty."
    - Britney Spears

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

At 16 I told the sister I was studying with that I was getting drunk with my brother-in-law every weekend. She proceeded to ask me how often I slept with him. Oh and there was that little incident at 6, when a jw bastard forced his disgusting sexual appetite on me. It was great to remember abuse at 14, be accused of fornication at 16, have the elders condemn you at 16 1/2 and then ostrocized from the congregation for drinking when the elders kids organised orgies!

I didn't stay broken for more than eight years though. I realized it was the people who failed me, just as I failed myself, by not letting those s.o.b's get to me.

I've got lots of luv to give, but no one wants it! - Mona.

• Scully
    Scully

ashi:

What was the last straw for you?

Mine was the treatment of my wife. She was controlled her whole life by her parents and the congregation, and when she finally said no, they either shunned, gossiped about or abandoned her.

Sounds like your wife and I have a lot in common. When I started learning how to say "No" to them and look after my own needs, I was labelled as 'selfish', 'unchristian', 'full of herself', etc etc. This was in spite of the fact that I was diagnosed with postpartum depression, and had suicidal thoughts. The JWs thought I was demonized and the people who were supposed to be my friends and the ones who cared about me more than anyone else treated me like crap.

At one point, after about a year and a half of trying to cope with my illness, in addition to all the garbage the JWs were dumping on our family, I confided in a friend that with the way we were being treated, I was seriously considering leaving the JWs because I felt there was no love there as Jesus had said would be evidenced by his disciples. Her reply was "If you turn your back on The Truthâ„¢, you may as well take your three beautiful children out in the back yard and blow off their heads with a gun. That way they won't go down with you at Armageddon and they'll have a resurrection in the Paradise." That was the last straw. I got up and walked out the door of the restaurant, and never spoke to her again. I've never set foot in a Kingdom Hall since then either.

No regrets.

Love, Scully

PS - Are you getting sleepy yet?

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Jeez, VA, I'm sorry. That's one of the shittiest stories I've heard in a while. That's a shame. Makes my exit look like a walk in a park.

"Her reply was "If you turn your back on The Truthâ„¢, you may as well take your three beautiful children out in the back yard and blow off their heads with a gun. That way they won't go down with you at Armageddon and they'll have a resurrection in the Paradise." "

Sonofabitch. Sometimes, I really hate the JW's. People said stuff like that to my wife, too, the only exception being that we don't have kids. They just said that about her.

ashi

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

After being inactive for about 4 years or so, some elders decided I was a piece of crap. Why? Because I had a hold of my step-sons shoulder and he twisted and it left a mark about half the size of my thumb on his shoulder. The next day, at book study with his Mom, he was spirited away by his aunt and the elders and another "sister." Of course, he had already told them that I beat him the night before. They took pictures and everything of this minute mark. Then, "brother dickwad" called and requested a meeting bwteen him and I and the step family the next Saturday.

Before the meeting, tho, step-son approached the school officials about this same mark since the elders didn't immediately remove me from the house. His counselor told him to go back to class as there was no mark evident on his shoulder. This was the very next day.

"Brother dickwad" showed up Saturday as planned, with "brother assinine." I was busy in the other room. They waited some 10 or 15 minutes for me to come in the room before turning to the wife and ask her if it were okay to open with prayer. Immediately, I let them know that I was the head of the house and although inactive, I was still the head. Even if DF'd, I was still the head and those sort of questions are to be directed to me, as per Watchtower teachings. Of course, this set the tone for their little game. This so-called meeting was nothing more than an effort to ellicit an angry response out of me over anything they could so they would be able to trump up grounds to DF me. In time, it worked. I blew up and physically ejected them from my house.

I immediately got of a letter of complaint to the Watchtower. In about two weeks, I received a poorly typed copy of a letter informing me that a judicial committe had been convened in my honor as I was "prone to wrath." Of course, both "brother dickwad" and "brother assinine" were sitting on said committee. This letter was even certified.

I got out my Watchtower CD, the elders manual I copied from the web and researched both. I then wrote and mailed a three page letter back to "brother dickwad" explaining from the watchtower itself why his committee was in violation of both the Bible and the Watchtower literature. I closed by telling them I refused to attend said meeting. I never heard anything back. Probably becuase I threatened legal action if they continued in their harrassment of me.

Almost a year later, I just got sick and tired of the whole mess and wrote them a letter of disassociation. Mostly to remove their ability to continue harrassing me.

Today, step-son ran away and is living with his prim and proper JW aunt. She is about to go nuts dealing with him. Her husband and mother-in-law, also dubs, want him gone, but really like the state assistance they are receiving in the form of money. Money, by the , which they wanted me to pay. Since I am not the blood father of these brats, the State of Washington says I have no child support commitment. They took the wife to court and have assessed her $10 a month support. The kid regrets running away, but that is his problem. If he learns no other way, he will now learn that once you make your bed, you have to lie in it!

While other KHs turn a blind eye to abuse, the hall I used to attend manufactures it where they can to get rid of those they don't personally like.

Where else but a Kingdom Hall can one find such love? (sarcasm)

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

For me it was the blood issue. I never really agreed with it. I had been inactive for many months. I told my sister that if I had a child someday that there was no way I would let him or her die. My sister said that I didn't have anything to worry, because I would then see that child in paradise. Yeah right! The last time I went to the kingdom hall was in march of last year. I have no regrets and life is so much easier.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

For me it was seeing the mis-treatment and abuse of women by the elders in the Kingdom Hall.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• puzzled
    puzzled

For me I can't pinpoint any one thing but I was very discusted when they publicly shunned my mom for a year. She was guilty of not following the rules of the society. Some of the elders who repremended her were guilty of fraud. Things you could actually be prosicuted for in a court of law. plm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit