Watchtower on women shopping for shoes

by Marvin Shilmer 26 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

"1,000 words on women shopping for shoes..."

Whoosh! That went right over my head. LOL

Even in cartoons they have the ability to insult women as dumb superficial subhumans....or at least try. The truth is shoes can be a symbol of female power and sexuality. That's the real reason the wts wanted to demean women's shoes.

That, and they're a lot of fun, which we all know is against the rules.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

my husband has twice as many shoes as me... just saying

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

rebel8 writes:

"The truth is shoes can be a symbol of female power..."

Don’t know why, that but that commented made me recall an incident back in the late 60s at a convention in Texas.

In the convention office was a brother who, I noticed, had on a pair of boots made to match his wife’s shoes. Both were made of the same leather (something exotic like lizard skin or something) and each had distinctive seams and sequence. His boots were masculine and her shoes were feminine (my perspective) but these two Witnesses had went out of their way to coordinate their footwear.

So I did what any inquisitive man would do, without even mentioning his shoes, I asked the brother “What gives?” He looked me in the eyes and replied “It takes a man to wear footwear like this.”

My inquisition was over. And, for whatever it’s worth, I wholly agree with the brother’s reply.

Marvin Shilmer

• james_woods
    james_woods

Has anyone mentioned former Phillipine first lady Ismelda Marcos yet?

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Swopped my comfy old ladies shoes for fab skyscraping 5 inch black stilletos recently...taking some getting used to but damd I feel sexy.

Another pathetic form of control on their part.

May even get my nose repierced soon too......

• Lore
    Lore

Y'all seem to be overreacting a bit.

Women being over-concerned with their shoes has been, and still is, a pretty common stereotype which is hardly unique to witnesses.

Not to mention the fact that it's not entirely fictional.

In our congregation there is a sister with a little gold shoe hanging from her mirror in her car, a shoe license plate and, you guessed it, she loves shopping for shoes and isn't embarrassed about it.

I'm not even aware of any gay men who are as obsessed with shoes. It's kind of unique to the female gender.

You may not like this fact, and it may sound sexist to you, but such is the nature of reality. If you are gonna complain about sexism how about you stick with stuff that's ACTUALLY not true, like smaller brains.

• Diest
    Diest

Good for you Pam...I love a woman in heels. I bought a few nice pairs of 4 in heels for my FB. The witnesses just like to control so they will print whatever bs they want.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I love shoes. A bad accident made me give up my Ferragamos and Cole Haans. I'd love Jimmy Choos, Chanels, and Lountaintins.

A Chinese fashion exhibit came to the Metropolitan Museum. There was a large crowd of women in one corner so I meandered over there. I saw shoes for bound feet. Small feet is a sexual fetish for the Chinese. I expected toddler shoes or shoes for a petitie woman. It was completely revolting! They were only one or two inches big. Manchu platform clogs were shown next to the Han Chinese shoes. I wanted to be Manchu! These women could not walk or run. They were more than cripples. I'm certain we have strange practices in the West but this nailed it for me. Friends who grew up in Hong Kong said it was very sad. These women were incapable of manual labor yet the Revolution stripped them of protection. They had to clean hotels, etc. without being able to walk.

The foot rotts, too. They say the stench from the rotting flesh is gross.

So I check out hooker shoes an upscale shoes with some degree of awareness of what is so sexy. I find women who wear makeup and heels more attractive. Past a certain point, though, it is revolting. What is fashionable about not being able to walk or run properly?

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

"Swopped my comfy old ladies shoes for fab skyscraping 5 inch black stilletos recently"

Pix or it didn't happen. lol

Good for you, Pam! Nothing wrong with that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My feminism intervenes.

Where is the illustration of my mom working late nights in a factory so we could eat? Where is the illustration of a woman in child birth pangs? Where is the illustration of a woman up all night with a sick child? Where are the illustrations of all our mothers cooking, cleaning, vacuuming, do laundry so that the family can function? Where is the illustration of my mom reading to me before I could read myself? Where is the picture of my mom leading my brother and I for a two mile hike through mud to the cerebral palsy center so my brother could receive treatment?

Also, I see no illustration of my mom working all night, then coming home, and sewing memorail clothes to show proper respect. Absent is the ironing board. Missing is the illustration of my mom being beat horribly by my Bethelite father.

This is not I Love Lucy. It is gross. Where is the matching illustraton of my father taking byzantine turns in the car to avoid losing a Yankee game broadcast?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit