Is it ethical to make rich pay more taxes?

by Lore 98 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
  • moshe
    moshe

The above was news from August 1st- 2001

• darthfader
    darthfader

Would it be fair to say that the wealthy have better economies of scale and more financial flexibility and are better able to increase their wealth so the tax rate percentage should increase?

Why is taxing a corporation ok? If a corporation earns 1million dollars, they either have to pay dividends to shareholders (who are taxed on that income) or spend it on something (equipment or new factories) or invest it someplace else (bank accounts, other corporations).

Not trying to be argumentative -- just trying to learn

cheers :)

• Robdar
    Robdar

Darth, if you are refering to my post, I made an error in it. I had a couple of glasses of wine and for some reason, known only to my high little mind, I wrote, "If I have to pay my share of taxes (which I don't mind doing) so should the corporations." I meant to write, "If I have to pay my share of taxes (which I don't mind doing) so should the wealthy. " By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late to edit. Sorry about the confusion. I tend to agree with your point up to a point.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Robdar.. thanks for the clarification :) Drinking and typing just dont mix --- I should know

It got me thinking about money. I dont think money ever sits anyplace for very long the wealthy dont just bury their money in the back yard. They place it in banks and investment funds where it get's either lent out or is reinvested into other businesses. I think the only exception to this rule may be when the wealthy buy gold or some rare asset. But then again, that money goes to another person to do work for them.

just rambling..

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes. Even if they find tax shelters - oftentimes those shelters result in the unintended consequences (I'm sure) of - TA DA! Job creation!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Why is taxing a corporation ok?

HUH??? Why is it NOT?

Geeezus people have we forgotten the admonishment against said corporations given us by the FF's? Have we forgotten what Main St. USA used to look like? Hint, you could tell one town from another.

• NeckBeard
  • darthfader
    darthfader

Taxing a corporation is in effect double taxation right?

I guess it all comes down to what you feel is better for "society" a: letting the government have the money (taxes) or b: letting corporations invest it...

Another point I wonder about is: As business becomes more efficient (being able to do more with less human labor), does it no longer benefit "the little guy" (the employees) as much?

It seems that corporations are able to generate pretty good revenue this past couple years, but that hasnt translated into more jobs... why? One reason may be that business is more effificient.

Beks: Now all towns look largely similar with "corporate food" establishments in every city greater than 15K people (think village inn, olive garden, red lobster, chipotle etc.). Unfortunately some business cannot effectively work at smaller scales (think Pharma).

cheers :)

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I guess it all comes down to what you feel is better for "society" a: letting the government have the money (taxes) or b: letting corporations invest it...

I would never in a million years have put it that way. Neither a nor b as stated makes any sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit