Greg Stafford Takes a Break

by leavingwt 14 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Via a thread at the Channel C forum, I've learned that Greg Stafford of Elihu Books has stopped writing.

. . .

At this time, I must leave off from doing any more writing or translation work. This means my Examiner.com writings, my tweets, my Blogs, everything. What I have written, I have written, and it will stay as what I believe and what I will teach, wherever possible.

Now, I must pull back and try to be a better father and a better husband; these things, this work of ministry, takes a toll, a great toll, particularly when you are, in large part, alone in openly doing what is, even with others, a great challenge, for the world and those in it do not embrace us; it/they resist us.

While this is not entirely new, for me, for now, things are becoming too difficult to bear, so that I do not risk losing what else Jah has given me. And so, my time has come to stop all public writing and ministry and to concentrate on things closer to my home.

. . .

http://users3.smartgb.com/g/g.php?a=s&i=g31-00204-9f

While I was at his site, I noticed his final blog post, which was pretty interesting.

Put Them to the Test

. . .

I am here to tell you the same thing, “Do not go after them,” but not so you follow after me or after any other man or woman; rather, so that you follow after him, the one who is the subject of the response given by Peter in answer to Jesus according to John 6:66-69. This involves primarily only “three things,” though there is much more for each ‘individual’ to consider if he or she chooses to proclaim these things as part of the Great Message related to the writings of Moses, the Psalms, and the Prophets concerning Jesus of Nazareth.—Luke 24:44; Acts 26:22; Revelation 2:23.

Over time as one reviews the Society’s history and teachings it becomes clear that in spite of some truths which it has adopted from the pages of the Bible (which is true for nearly every other Christian group, to differing degrees), the Watchtower Society has repeatedly failed its members and the July 15, 2011, Study Edition issue continues to do so without repentance or “a changing of heart toward God.”—Acts 20:21. . . .

http://elihubooks.blogspot.com/2011/07/put-them-to-test.html

• cattails
    cattails

I liked reading Greg's blogs and chat. He comes across as a very sincere believer in Christ and Jah (which he prefers since it is more reasonably accounted for in both the Heb. and Greek scriptures).

I wish him peace and success in his desire to concentrate on his family. Although, I hope he will once again be active online exposing the WT's company men for the evil slave they have become.

• designs
    designs

Thanks for posting this info leavingwt. I like Greg and his wife and his kids are great, we enjoyed having them over to our home. He took heat from the Society, his local congregation and the Evangelical community, particularly some guy named White and Rob Bowman who were more like the GB than the GB, absolutely awful individuals.

Any time spent with and devoted to your family is always the best.

We wish him well.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Any time spent with and devoted to your family is always the best.
    We wish him well.

Same from me.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Really nice guy, and his wife. Wish him and his family all the best.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

same here! I've met him, nice guy.

Randy

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I was told very early on when my family was young.........'A wise man knows when to take his leave'. Especially when it is for the benefit of the family. JW Elders can take a lesson from Greg.

Greg, look forward to when you are back in the saddle!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting to hear you say that dogpatch. I remember the online debates you used to have with him way back when he called himself Apokrisis, I think.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Hmm. I don't know; when Stafford was the worlds greatest JW apologist, I guess he was not such a great guy. Then, he becomes the enemy of my enemy (or something) when he started his own religion: does that make him my friend? Thing is, he always has been an arrogant twit and it doesn't much matter whether he is making half-educated arguments in favor of JW theology or half-assed arguments in favor of his own theology (a careful reader will notice my scandalously loose use of the term, "theology."). I respect his need to spend time with his family, of course, but I think we all know that a guy like Stafford is always going to lurch from one self-important project to another. Seriously, he started his own fracking religion! Is that, like, normal?

Needed to be said, so I done said it.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You're right Sulla, it did need to be said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit