"I can live with doubt and uncertainty, and not knowing."

by leavingwt 26 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
  • FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

"Ubi dubium ibi libertas"
    (Where there is doubt, there is freedom)
    [Latin proverb]

I also think he makes a good point saying, "When we go to investigate (nature), we shouldn't pre-decide what it is we're trying to do, except to find out more about it," along with his following point that the reason we find out more about it is because, rather than not looking for a specific answer, we're open to whatever the answer actually is.

Looking for predecided answers is like needing something to write with and wanting a pen, but all you can find in the drawer are pencils. Thus, you conclude, there is nothing to write with.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

What a dynamite video. Bells rang when he said:

"But I don't have to know an answer. I don't have to feel frightened by not knowing things. By being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose - which is the way it really is as far as I can tell - possibly- it doesn't frighten me."

Says it all.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

There are a number of interesting comments at the blog where I discovered this video.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/feynman-on-god-and-religion/

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Another great video, thanks for sharing LW!

• shamus100
    shamus100

The truth: You can make your life a living hell hating something, or you can be positive and give positive energy back to everyone. Positive brings positive, negative brings negative. You don't have to freak out and have all the answers right now - take it easy, take your time. And don't be bitter. ;)

Above all, if your atheist, don't hate the boogie-man. He doesn't exist, LOL. ;D

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

It's more than a little ironic that many people are incapable of even estimating Feynman's level of intelligence, let alone the things he comprehended. Here is a man of excruciatingly detailed understanding of some of the most mysterious aspects of the reality in which we live and who saw clearly that the tiny, insignificant gods of the ancient middle east have absolutely nothing to do with it all. His observation of the provincial nature of religious thinking cuts deeply into the matter. He died before the Hubble telescope images expanded the horizons of people of normal intelligence but he already comprehended the scope of the problem of Christianity. There is now overwhelming evidence of billions of galaxies each with billions of stars and billions of planets and God chose this one in particular? No, folks, we're just not that special.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

another keeper for my references

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

One man's view shaped by his life experiences.

JDW

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I've always loved the way Feynman thinks. I even went to see QED, Alan Alda's one man show as Feynman in the early 2000's - excellent..

A few great Feynman reads:

QED

Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman!

What Do You Care What Other People Think

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit