Just tried my first ciggarette!

by highdose 24 Replies latest jw friends

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

MAD!!!! I have enough respect for you from your time on this board to yell at you for thinking about going down that road.

You can still get some nasty cancer from a pipe even if you don't inhale it. For the love of you family DON'T DO IT.

• kazar
    kazar

Mad Sweeney

No I haven't tried the electronic ones. I am curious about them. Thanks for the reminder, I will check them out. I had quit cold turkey because it came down to my being able to pay a bill or buy a pack of cigarettes. Usually the cigarettes would have won out but for some reason they didn't this time. I didn't go the route of nicotine replacement items like patches, gum, etc. because those items are almost as much as the cigarettes but from what I've seen on TV the electronic cigarettes are cheaper. I'm going to look them up online. Drug addicts (heroin) tell me that cigarettes are as bad an addiction as the drugs they use; they can get off of heroin and get on methadone but they can't get off the cigarettes. I believe it. I know I still want them. Anyway, thanks again for the reminder.

• moshe
    moshe

Many years ago the tobbaco industry tweaked the cigarette formula- seems that processing the tobacco with ammonia gives the nicotine a faster rush to the brain- they found out just a couple cigs can get you hooked. Nice people in that business.

-Freebasing Nicotine With Ammonia:
    Tobacco companies discovered that adding ammonia to the cigarette manufacturing process helps convert bound nicotine molecules in tobacco smoke into free nicotine molecules. This process is known as "freebasing." Similar to the chemical process of freebasing cocaine, the end result is an enhanced effect of the drug on the user.
    The "Organoleptic Effect":
    Organoleptic is a word used to define those qualities in a product that appeal to one's senses -- that of taste, odor and feel, for instance. Tobacco manufacturers use this term to describe the effect of free nicotine on smokers. Lorillard Tobacco Company documents from the 1970s suggest that research on treating tobacco with ammonia became an interest when low-tar cigarettes were introduced to the market. It was found that nicotine levels fell right along with the tar content in low-tar cigarettes, diminishing the organoleptic effect for the smoker.
    It's All About "Customer Satisfaction":
    Enhancing the nicotine kick smokers receive when lighting up through the use of ammonia in tobacco processing is said to increase smoking satisfaction. One might argue that freebasing nicotine with ammonia only leads to a more intensely addictive nicotine experience for the seasoned smoker and a quicker road to addiction for the new smoker.

• kazar
    kazar

Gosh Moshe, after reading your post I really want a cigarette now! Ha, just kidding. Thanks for the information I did some quit smoking research online to get as much help as possible in quitting and I found out a lot of things I was ignorant of--like how the receptors in the brain are occupied by the nicotine and many other things too technical for me to recite right now, but I know it's bad. There is a web site called WhyQuit that says if a quitter takes one puff of a cigarette the person has full relapse, just like an alcoholic. Haven't tested that theory and I am afraid to. It's been six weeks and I will not take that chance being a long time two-pack a day smoker. I wish I had the insight when I first picked up the cigarette to smoke that I have now.

• shamus100
    shamus100

If you smoke a pipe you will get addicted.

I've seen what throat cancer does first hand. You don't want it. Google it if you have any questions, and look at the images.

Please, don't smoke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit