i need to know if jehovahs witnesses are actually told to ....

by looloo 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• clarity
    clarity

Barefoot ....

"we rekindled our relationships and got along swimmingly. we had many good times as jws and as xjws. they started going back to meetings, and eventualy started shunning me to. forgetting how it made them feel in the past.

when i see the people i uesed to attened the kh with, they avoid me like the plauge. even going so far as to cross to the other side of the street. they make no eye contact, only stare at me out of the corner of there eye, like i am some sort of medical oddity or disgusting thing."

>

Imagine ... how else could you explain these so called "brother's" behavior, but to come to the conclusion that they are under a 'spell', brain washed and threatened!!!

Silly beggars!

What an ugly spiritual paradise.

clarity

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

As mentioned above, there is to be no contact with DF'ed children not living in the home...the exception is limited contact during family emergencies. In the case of my family, that means they will talk to me if they need money, as I am the trustee for a family trust we share. When the dollars are at stake, they couldn't be nicer to me...otherwise it is complete "radio silence"! The interesting thing is, that when I was DF'ed my children were also cut off by their JW grandparents...even though they weren't living with me. Go figure...

The bottom line is, unless you really want your kids to have a relationship with their grandparents, it might be better to just not allow contact. My guess is that the grandparents won't really care since in their minds, your kids will most likely suffer the same dire consequences they see you suffering as a result of the DF'ing. It sucks, but it is a JW reality...just hope that they open their eyes, but as long as they are brainwashed they will view you all as the "walking dead".

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

Jehovah .. what a douchebag,

• Tralfamadorian
    Tralfamadorian

I was disfellowshipped sometime around 1996 or 97. At the time, no congregation member was allowed to speak to you except for immediate family members. At any rate, my mom and sister talked to me on the phone regularly. I'm assuming this stricter chokehold was instituted within the last 5 or so years since I got an email from my mom more or less stating the new policy and pretty much just saying it's because 'we're so close to the end now,' etc, ad nauseum.

A year later, she called me and asked me to fly out there to stay for a month. My sister paid for the airfare. I guess my mom was having problems withdrawing from a medication and my sister needed help to look after her since she was emotionally exhuasted. I asked my mom why she chose to associate with me when I was there. She told me she felt I was not disfellowshipped by Jehovah. When I made it clear during one of our debates that I had no intention of returning to the kindom hall, I could tell by the end of the visit that that was it. Her last words were, "I'll send you an email." I could see the diplomatic lie in her face.

I was cut off again. Naturally, I felt rather used as a babysitter for my mentally ill mom. I have bi-polar disorder and problems of my own and resented that I would be 'used' as a babysitter to give my sister a break from my moms mental health dramas.

A year ago she contacted me [my mom] to let me know she had breast cancer again. We talked for a half hour. She dropped a few 'kingdom' hints, but didn't press it. Then no more contact. I sent an email about a year later, not expecting a reply. Hey, if I contact her, she can't be blamed, right? The next day, she'd set up a facebook profile, listed me as her daughter and had friended me and another disfellowshipped person on my friends list I'd grown up with [he's gay]. The next day she was gone, vanished like a fart in the wind. Me and the friend were a bit puzzled, but we shrugged it off. I'm sure she probably told my sister and was warned against having a facebook...or else. etc...ad nauseum.

I know my mom hates this. I hate it. I was disfellowshipped for smoking and my stepfather is a member in good standing although for the past 15 years we have tried with the elders, off and on, to get some justice for the fact that he sexually abused me and my three sisters. Another sister finally came out about him sexually abusing her too. Eventually, she gave up pressing it as the resistence and 'Star Chamber' tactics the elders use, what with their antiquated tribunals opened up, traumatized her all over again. She, my sisters and myself were asked to send the elders at his congregation letters of testimony. To the best of my knowledge, nothing else further was done. They were afraid to press it further 'as he was depressed' at the time.

Whatever. Give me a break!

I recall the third or so time I tried to get the matter looked into. [My stepfather was a congregation hopper, trying to evade discipline and the elders too indifferent to care or trace and track him down] I explained the situation to the PO of the congregation he was involved with and the first question he asked me was "And just how long ago did this happen?" Give me a break! How irrelavent! How about the years of therapy I've been involved with to heal? Is there a statute of limitations within the organization now? How about my sanity? It has no statute of limitations!

I had even tried on a previous occasion to write Bethel soon after I was disfellowshipped, explaining the situation and my stress. The letter I got back sidestepped the abuse and tried to focus my attention on 'regaining my standing with Jehovah and the congregation' Unbelievable!

My stepfather has a granddaughter who's about 5 years old now, who apparently he's so crazy about. That's why the other sister who came out about all of it, approached the elders, my mom and sister and I. Out of concern for the little girl. After the elders didn't give any of us any update on the situation, I approached the police in my city. Apparently it's a jurisdictional thing. So since I have no idea where his address is, there is little I can do at this point to help the little girl. What a f*ck story!

I realize most of this doesn't actually address your question, but once I started typing, my mind and fingers just did as they would. Since I'm 'out of the loop' now, I don't know what, if anything further, they've added to their policy. I can say I'm extremely grateful to just be away from there. I consider it nothing short of a miracle that I'm alive [haven't offed myself] and that I've crawled out of there as well as I have. I was raised from the age of 2 as a witness, which means a lot of what I learned was hard wired into my young, formative body and mind. It's a hard habit to break. And it is a habit. When I was disfellowshipped, at the time the most logical move was to join the Mormons. It was a safe-feeling transition at the time. "The Witnesses preach from door to door, the Mormons preach door to door. The Witnesses don't believe in the trinity, the Mormons don't believe in the trinity." Etc...ad nauseum.

Thanks for letting me rant and again, I'm sorry if much of this wasn't awfully helpful.

P.S. Can anyone please point me to any posts that explain how to use the posting features? I'm used to phpBB formatting and apprently Firefox wont let me use some features like quoting the original poster. Also, why are there so many restrictions on posting. Is the flamer/troller situation that bad here or what?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You will be able to post a lot more after a few weeks, when you have posted more. I think you're limited to ten a day for awhile, then it goes up to 100.

As for quoting another poster, I prefer to cut-paste the comment and then highlight it in yellow. The quoting feature, as with a lot of the features on this site, doesn't work well.

• looloo
    looloo

tralfamodorian , ive private messaged you x

• shel54401
    shel54401

Shunning Anyone never works, I don't care what JW"S may tell you, as a memeber for over 10years I can tell you the much sucicdes,depressions, and all the problems ones face when being shunned. I know 1st hand as it happened to me after I spoke the truth about this dangerous organization. ALthough I like the stories I have been redind as a new comer, it sadenes me to think this shunning buisness w/innocent children are taken place..Jehovah God gave us these Blessings, and they are NOT ours, they belong to God BUT its up to us to raise them correctly. We ALL make great parenting mistakes in ALL of our lives, and we will continue to make mistakes, God knows and understands this. Why would ANY loveing Parent shun their child, and NOt speak and work things out w/ them, and to parent our children as we need to show LOVE NOT hate nor shunning..What examples are we setting for Our children and on lookers who can't begin to understand this cruel and not needed punishment?

We OWE our children the best of LOVE and Shunning is NOT LOVE it shows HATE and takes away from the very closesness of our love we have worked so hard at giving our children..Disapline can be made ONLY for teaching, NOT for beatings, hittings,nor abuse as I have witnesses many times in my 10years in which I got fed up at finally reported th abuse. While all the ELders and congragation stood by and watched these poor beatin children get beat over and over again.

PLEASE do NOT shun your children NOR anyone,ENCOURAGE them to doing the right things, show LOVE as JEsus would.

Shunning Anyone is NOT LOVE, But ABuse, and this never works....Thanx for all your stories, and thanx for allowing me to post as a new comer...huggs to all and God Bless Shel

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

On the subject of disfellowshipping, they know, of course, that the Bible says "to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man." (1 Cor. 5:11,13)

If one buys into their interpretation that the 'word "anyone" in this verse includes family members not living under their roof...', where, pray tell, do they see that in this verse? Please point this out to me as I don't see it.

Ya'll (hey, I'm a southerner) won't like me for saying this but if one takes that verse literally, and by their spin that this means shunning, then they must shun everyone period. And everyone means whether or not you're living under the same roof.

Well, they don't spin it to mean absolutely everyone because they know it wouldn't be politically correct. That would mean that the shunners and the shunnees could be living under the same roof -- husband vs wife, mother vs child, etc.

Oh, the membership undoubtedly looks at this as a case of a such a merciful governing body. Nothing could be further from the truth. I look at it as a cowardly concession. What gives them the right to add such a concession to that verse. I mean other than playing scriptural hop-scotch -- well, we must honor our parents -- or some such.

It's no different than when I was attending, years ago, one of those two-week classes for elders. The question was raised, "Why don't we disfellowship a member who joins the military? Why, instead, do we say that they've disassociated themselves?" Answer? "Well, brothers, that would shut down Brooklyn in a New York minute! We simply cannot do that, now can we? The U.S. authorities would promptly arrest the officers at Bethel under charges of sedition if we disfellowshipped such people. By announcing they've disassociated themselves, we place the burden on the offending member who joined the military. We can tell the authorities, "Hey, we didn't DF him -- he voluntarily DA'd himself!"

I thought then that headquarters had put their tail between their legs. I then realized they truly weren't relying on Jehovah.

Same thing here would happen if they truly took that verse to "quit mixing" to its absolute meaning. Instead, during their spin, they add the words, "living under the same roof" in order to protect themselves. Otherwise, they'd be attacked with one lawsuit after another. And they know it.

Len

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I know that some JW parents don't want to visit their grandchildren, due to the mother or father of such grandchildren have been DF'd. But, I have seen some that still visit their grandchildren in spite of this. It is ackward, and could raise eyebrows, because it's a rule that is really pounded down. What really get's to me is the situation where the family member is not baptised, and is not living by JW standards. These ones are ok to associate with. Now let's see how this " Anyone" is applied. Why doesn't it apply to them? It doesn't add up. They still have to go back to the jury room and rethink this again. But, will this ever get resolved? Nope.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Even if grandparents do choose to visit, and I know some that do, what does that do to the kids? How would ANY child respond to visiting with someone that won't speak to their parents? And then what----do the grandparents indoctrinate the children to believe their parents are evil? This can be done passively as well as actively. Simply a visit to the KH will accomplish this, even if Grandma and Grandpa don't say a word. Not to mention the example they show by ignoring the parents in the first place.

When I was a child, I became very confused when someone didn't like my mother. It upset me to see her have disagreements with someone, or even to call her a name. (I saw this). I don't think I could have gone with such a person without feeling like I was betraying my mom. How would I have felt if I had to visit with someone that wouldn't even TALK to her? I would have felt confused and crummy.

It is an evil practice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit