Jesus is NOT the Mediator for the Great Crowd?

by Resistance is Futile 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

So according to the Watchtower, Jesus is NOT the Mediator for the Great Crowd. Evidently Jesus is only Mediator for the Anointed. This means that about 99.9% of Jehovah’s Witnesses can’t say that Jesus is their Mediator. Ironically it seems as though this is not common knowledge among JW’s.

So exactly who is the Mediator for the Great Crowd? How does the Watchtower handle this question? Have they ever actually given a direct answer to this question? I don’t have the WT cd, so I’m wondering what a JW would find if they “researched” this question.

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife is okay with the teaching. He mediates indirectly for the great crowd. I mean, Jesus cannot possibly mediate for everyone directly so he has his annointed ones doing so on his behalf. However, he is still the mediator, just not directly.

Hey, if you are a born in who does not want to sacrifice this belief because of family and other associations, you'll make the mind believe anything you want to right?

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

How many Jw's have sucessfully explained romans 8:14?

• sabastious
    sabastious

Essentially the 144,000.

-Sab

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Joey,

They explain it the same way that they explain Jesus being mediator for just the annointed, ie: those led by God's Spirit are the annointed who in turn lead the other sheep...

• garyneal
    garyneal
    How many Jw's have sucessfully explained romans 8:14?

They are being led by the spirit through Jehovah's spirit directed organization. That is what they commit to during their baptism, you know.

1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
    2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Ok then lol, well I always wondered what they would say about rev 19:1.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It was common knowledge to me, but I don't think I ever really understood it. It seemed that submission to Jesus and praying in his name was merely acknowledging and respecting god's arrangement. Sort of like the other sheep showing up for memorial. Why are they there? It's not their covenant? To show respect. I know. Cognitive Dissoance was strong in this one!

I met a fellow apostate tongiht. As we talked I had a small epiphany. WT loves to berate Catholics for praying before statues and through saints. But if you ASK a Catholic, they will say they are really praying to god, but using these things as a vehicle. So I coined a new term. SAINT WATCHTOWER.

NC

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There are a number of quotes at http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mediator.php

The Watchtower claims that the mediator is only required for those under the new convenant. The rest of the world can get atonement (forgiveness) by means of the high priest.

Watchtower 1991 February 15 p.18 "Christ does not act as Mediator of the new covenant toward them, yet they benefit from this covenant through the work of God's Kingdom. Christ still acts toward them, however, as High Priest, through whom Jehovah can and does apply the ransom to the extent of their now being declared righteous as God's friends.
    The doctrine does not make sense, but is required since those in the new convenant go to heaven and the Watchtower only wants 144,000 up there.
  • peace_lily
    peace_lily

I believe this has always been the teaching, but the following quote is one where the Society felt the need to make it quite clear:

w7911/15pp.26-27pars.20-26Benefitingfrom“OneMediatorBetweenGodandMen”

What, then, is Christ’s role in this program of salvation? Paul proceeds to say: “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men [not, all men], a man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all.”—1 Tim. 2:5, 6.

Paul was writing according to the facts of the first century of Christianity, during which the new covenant had been put into operation. Into it “men” of all nationalities, Jews, Samaritans, uncircumcised Gentiles, had already been brought after being made a part of spiritual Israel. Christ Jesus was the mediator of that new covenant. Paul’s letter to Timothy regarding this was a case of one ‘minister of the new covenant’ writing to another ‘minister of the new covenant.’ That new covenant between “our Savior, God,” and spiritual Israel continues as long as there are spiritual Israelites still in the flesh as “men” here on earth. So the covenant is in force today. Jesus’ “corresponding ransom for all” lays the basis for men and women of all sorts to become spiritual Israelites and be brought into the new covenant of which Christ Jesus is the “one mediator.”

There are still more than 9,000 who profess to be spiritual Israelites in the new covenant. Like Paul and Timothy, these are “ministers of a new covenant.” (2 Cor. 3:6; 1:1) Evidently the new covenant is nearing the end of its operation for the purpose of producing 144,000 spiritual Israelites who meet God’s approval for being associated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly kingdom, the ideal government for mankind. When the last of these approved spiritual Israelites cease to be “men” because of earthly death and a resurrection to a share in the heavenly kingdom, then the mediatorship of Jesus Christ will cease also. Their inherited sinful condition in the flesh, which called for a mediator to act between them and the God of holiness, will be left behind. Like the holy angels of heaven, these glorified spiritual Israelites will need no mediator between them and Jehovah God. (Rev. 22:3, 4) Under Jesus Christ they will serve as kings, priests and associated judges over all the world of mankind.—Rev. 7:4-8; 14:1-3; 20:4, 6; Luke 22:28-30.

A

“GREATCROWD”OFEARTHLY

BENEFICIARIES

Today, according to authentic records, there is a “great crowd” of dedicated, baptized Christians who actively collaborate with the small remnant of spiritual Israelites. Ever since the spring of 1938 they have been invited to attend the annual memorial celebration of Christ’s death, not to partake of the memorial emblems, the unleavened bread and the red wine, but as respectful observers. They recognize Jesus Christ as their heavenly King since the Gentile Times ended in 1914. They zealously join the remnant of spiritual Israelites in preaching “this good news of the kingdom” in all the inhabited earth for a “witness to all the nations” before this system of things ends in the coming “great tribulation.” (Matt. 24:14, 21) They recognize that they are not spiritual Israelites in the new covenant mediated by Jesus Christ, nor part of the “chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation.”—1 Pet. 2:9.

Yet they do benefit from the operation of the new covenant. They benefit from this just as, in ancient Israel, the “alien resident” benefited from residing in among the Israelites who were in the Law covenant.—Ex. 20:10; Lev. 19:10, 33, 34; Rev. 7:9-15.

To keep in relationship with “our Savior, God,” the “great crowd” needs to remain united with the remnant of spiritual Israelites. Why? Because these spiritual Israelites are the “holy nation” of which we read in Jeremiah 31:35, 36, right after God’s promise of the new covenant: “This is what Jehovah, the Giver of the sun for light by day, the statutes of the moon and the stars for light by night, the One stirring up the sea that its waves may become boisterous [against the Egyptians pursuing the Israelites], the One whose name is Jehovah of armies, has said: ‘“If these regulations could be removed from before me,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “those who are the seed of Israel could likewise cease from proving to be a nation before me always.”’”

Jehovah could no more let spiritual Israel pass out of existence from within his universal organization than he could let the heavenly luminaries that regulate light for our earth cease to be. In the heavens spiritual Israel will be the New Jerusalem in which Jesus Christ will reign as King over the surviving “great crowd” and all the human dead resurrected to life in a paradise earth.—Rev. 21:2-24.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit