Question about scriptural divorce and elder procedures…

by unshackled 31 Replies latest members private

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thank you for asking, Unshackled.

I just got married (to the Professor) and moved away from Kansas City but while I was there I did radio, voice overs, and acted on stage and in local indie films. Here's a review from 2005. Robyn Faulkner, that was me until I took my professor's last name, is mentioned about half way down in, I believe, paragraphs 9 and 10.

http://www.pitch.com/2005-08-25/culture/grand-hotel/

• karter
    karter

About 10 years ago my sister married a guy who's wife had leaft him for another man.

In order for them to get married he had to have a letter from her saying she had commited immorality.

Unshackled: Tell her your not playing their silly games anymore and if they don't belive her thats their problem.

She can always get your marrage cert from the state.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Robdar...very cool. These quotes from the article:
    "As cousin Mary, Robyn Faulkner is blessed with a comic monologue so daftly obscene that it alone is worth the ten bucks to get in."
    Then the start of the next paragraph... "The rest of the cast is almost as strong."

Great work...sounds like you carried the show. So are you still involved in acting?

karter: Yes that is exactly what I told her / them. This was all about 6 years ago now, been starting over since and well on my way.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If the "guilty" mate is not baptized then just their word to the "innocent" (ex)mate is sufficient. However, if both parties are baptized then the "two witness" rule comes into effect. It's not unusual to camp out and see that they are spending the night with someone. Two witnesses to that qualifies as sufficient evidence.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

NY required fault until recently. Making these admissions is crazy! First, they should encourage reconciliation between a couple. Having a 3rd party interact with the most intimate revelations of a couple does not seem to encourage marriage. When an adverse party seeks an admission, call your divorce lawyer! I'm certain a self-help legal aid book would concur. Child custody may be involved.

Jewish law is very similar. I dated a reform Jewish male whose ex-wife sincerely became Conservative/Orthodox b/c of the divorce. Although divorced by NY, she was not free to remarry with a Jewish divorce. Only a husband can get a Jewish divorce. My scummy boyfriend refused and cited the leverage he would gain in terms of child custody and support. MY gf, hearing of this situation, became so upset she visited the campus rabbi. He told her when Jews lived in ghettos, the rule made sense. If a man refused to give a divorce, all the Jewish men would refused to have to do with him. She would win in the long run. Jews could not survive without the support of the ghetto. Unfortunately, they can today. Recently, I read that a national group goes to the homes and businesses of these arrogant men and pickets so the entire world knows their character. Bilboard ads have been placed.

I would refuse to give the JWs legitimacy by going along with their silly two witness rule. My bottom line is from many Roman Catholics I know. Manhattan made it extraordinarily difficult to get annullments. They cost a fortune and usually involved the cost of a Vatican contact. Take the subway to Brooklyn and they were plentiful and cheap. $1500. Does Christ's edict change as the boundary changes within a city? Somehow a hefty donation to Bethel, not official called a bribe and done with finesse, must garner results.

Could this be also a case of low man on the totem pole acquiring status by being jerks about a rule? Perhaps Bethel does not care. Maybe other elders do not care.

Moral: Move to Brooklyn.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Yes they require 2 witnesses. They will stake out a residence (shepherding call my ass, that's no reason to leave your family for hours on end) as an modus operandi. They may also take some other active dub (only JW's are trustworthy) word on it (nosy neighbor or if you made an admission to someone else). They cannot take her word as too many would claim it.

One of my exes was inactive as well and moved about 200 mi away but they got the local cong. elders to do their dirty work. My mom who didn't want to play by their rules either they 'caught' by 'witnessing' her apartment and her new partner opened.

• flipper
    flipper

UNSHACKLED- This similar thing COULD have happened to me after my non-JW wife left me due to her drug abuse. After 9 months of no contact with her I still had no definite proof she had committed adultery. I had stopped attending meetings right after we broke up in early 2004 - so I wasn't really caring how the local elders perceived me.

However my 80 yr.old elder dad told me if I wanted scriptural freedom from my ex-wife to call her on the phone and ask if she had " moved on " to another relationship and then put this in writing to my former elders in a handwritten letter. So I did ! I found out from my ex that she HAD " moved on " and was in a relationship and I tacked the letter in an envelope on the Kingdom hall door to the " body of elders " from Flipper !

Nobody ever questioned me again and I was free to re-marry in time. At least in my JW dad's mind which at the time was important to me to satisfy his mind on it back in 2004.

I agree with Undercover- it just depends on how hardcore of an elder body you get. These guys make up their own rules anyway depending on who is an uber-J-dub hardcore and who is liberal . They pull instructions out of their rear ends and make JW's follow it. From what I've noticed anyway

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Excuse me! What do they witness? They are not the CIA or FBI doing national security reconaissance. Male friends are not allowed to visit female friends. Maybe the gentleman caller was a baby sitter. Perhaps sister has started her own business part-time and does consultations from home. If someone sits in a car all night, watching your residence, have the sense to call 911. 911, not the precinct number. They have no proof. Hello, Pharisees! I am not surprised by their behavior. What shocks me is the collobration with the enemy by former JWs. How do they know the caller is not wife's brother or cousin? Perhaps school teacher or truant officer. And this is what a theocracy worries about? Do you know how many poor, starving, people in imminent danger, abused children and animals, could use the hours they spend spying? Spying is against the law. This is criminal behavior. I don't find it amusing. These brothers belong in prison! Besides, there are constitutiona privacy rights within the penumbra of the entire U.S. Constitution, plus common law privacy rights. They can be sued.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Unshackled, thank you for reading my review. The entire cast was strong and our director, Sara Crow, is visionary and cutting edge. I would love to do theatre here in Joplin but there are only a couple of venues. I do plan on going to audition as soon as some are announced. I am also about to start university and hope to be able to attend their closed auditions when I get enrolled. For now, I have a studio and occasionally get voice over work. The pay is nice.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

They take themselves for somebody important. THEY get to make the descision IF someone under their power can go out with/sleep/kiss or do whatever, with someone else.

And they take their power seriously.

After my divorce, both my ex and I started living with someone else. Neither of us went to the meetings anymore.

But I then lived 1000 miles away. I was Dfd, but my ex, who lived in the same territory, was never dfd.

Talk about double standards: she is an elders daughter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit