Feelings of Impending Doom!

by sabastious 23 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

I ask you all: What does the life of a child look like while he/she attempts to cope with recurrent feelings of impending doom?

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Kind of like this image from BorgLit (thanks for the link, jwfacts.com)

http://www.jwfacts.com/growing/Paradise-lost.JPG

• sabastious
    sabastious

I always wondered why we didn't have a "drill plan" framed on the Kingdom Hall wall right below the years text. Don't all emergency awareness systems have some sort of drill? Everyone seemed so content and assured that it would be like, laser beems killing everybody but us, or something. It was all so mystical and confusing so fear was the only emotion that stuck.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

My dad's response would be something like "I don't know, but it's going to be bad and I am going to use the backhoe for the mass graves."

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The Borg doesn't care about individual lives. "God's people" will survive Armageddon as a group or class. That is all that matters to the Borg. Individual JWs can die by the truckload during the Great Tribulation. What a privilege! Jehovah can resurrect them later on IF they die faithful.

Fear indoctrination works.

That's why they use it.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I remember going to one door and the householder told me to never come back because what I was saying about Armageddon was frightening his son.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Children will unconsciously employ various coping mechanisms depending upon the other variants in their lives. Some will become extremely compliant, others withdrawn and shy, still others aggressive and hostile.

Dr. Karen Horney identified three ways of dealing with the world that are formed by an upbringing in a neurotic family: Moving Toward People, Moving Against People, and Moving Away From People.

Moving Toward People. Some children who feel a great deal of anxiety and helplessness move toward people in order to seek help and acceptance. They are striving to feel worthy and can believe the only way to gain this is through the acceptance of others. These people have an intense need to be liked, involved, important, and appreciated. So much so, that they will often fall in love quickly or feel an artificial but very strong attachment to people they may not know well. Their attempts to make that person love them creates a clinginess and neediness that much more often than not results in the other person leaving the relationship.

Moving Against People. Another way to deal with insecurities and anxiety is to try to force your power onto others in hopes of feeling good about yourself. Those with this personality style come across as bossy, demanding, selfish, and even cruel. Horney argued that these people project their own hostilities (which she called externalization) onto others and therefore use this as a justification to 'get them before they get me.' Once again, relationships appear doomed from the beginning.

Moving Away From People. The final possible consequence of a neurotic household is a personality style filled with asocial behavior and an almost indifference to others. If they don't get involved with others, they can't be hurt by them. While it protects them from emotional pain of relationships, it also keeps away all positive aspects of relationships. It leaves them feeling alone and empty.

• jay88
    jay88

When there is no observable plan to contend with any wide-scale destruction,....Then WTBS will just tell its followers to wait on "jehovah"

This is Utimately Shameful to instill this type of imagery and fear with in any person let alone a defense-less child.

jay,

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I don't think I fit in any of those catigories?

I remember as a kid haveing nightmares about the big A...

• sinis
    sinis

Well if the wine I'm making doesn't turn out good, that will be impending doom for me... :) as my wife will kick my ass for using ~30 lbs of grapes from our vineyard, when she will say she could have ate them...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit