Being a feminist in the JW religion

by Chemical Emotions 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

It essentially makes me feel like I am an evil, immoral, selfish imdividual who god hates (even though "evil" is really a religious term, and I am not religious, even though I don't do terrible things, even though I care about others so much that I am remaining a JW mainly for other people). I hate not being able to express my feelings, not just about supposed gender roles, but about many aspects of life. I think I am fair and accepting about both sexes, and all sexual orientations, and about many other things, such as a person's religion or the lack thereof.

And yet in this religion it is veiwed as a bad thing, a sin, to accept or even tolerate these things without prejudice. If I don't believe that anyone who isn't like me will die at Armageddon, then there is something wrong with me.

Seeing women in my congregation wearing head coverings when translating a brother's talk, seeing them have to sit when giving a demonstration "not a "talk"), seeing the strict dress code imposed on them...angers and huurts me. I hate reading the WTBTS's highly misogynistic articles concerning women. Having to be "under subjection" is what pisses me off more than anything. That should be decided by the women.She should decide what SHE wants.

Knowing that there must be some men who would really prefer not to have to be the "head", and would rather work WITH their wives rather than making all the rules, also frustrates me. Why should one gender be forced into that role? It is completely unfair imo. And is it so wrong to not have "strong masculine qualities"? Can a man not be more feminine if it suits him? Must he fit one stereotype?

END OF RANT.

I'm sorry, I just needed to get all of that out.

Are there any feminists here who used to be JWs? Anyone who is of a different sexual orientaion? Or anything else?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this.

I hate reading the WTBTS's highly misogynistic articles concerning women.

In your opinion, is the Bible a highly misogynistic book?

• designs
    designs

Chemical-

Call Bethel and ask them what the highest ranking woman does, what department she heads.

• Curtains
    Curtains

I so agree that men are coerced to fit a stereotype and believe they harm themselves in the process

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Chemical, it's rough but that is the gig. They can actually support most of their BS with scriptures even if they stretch a bit. You are not religious, but you are in a religion. You will simply never be comfortable. I know you have your reasons for staying, and I don't question them. But it's kind of like a creationist joining a group that studies evolution. They will never be comfortable. They will always be at odds.

To say this org is misogynistic is like saying carrots are orange. It's an established fact. It's not an insult.

But you can come here a vent anytime. I hope you can work out your situation soon and be able to live more freely. It's a tough spot.

NC

• cantleave
    cantleave

The bible is such a vague, contradictory collection of books it can be used to support any position. The WTS is the only group to use it to Justify mysogeny. Others use it to demonise homosexuality and others to promote racism.

What a loving God, producing a book to cater for all prejudice!

• Twitch
    Twitch

Even as a kid, I thought women got a bad rap in the org; seemed like 2nd class, not seen as equals and yet they agreed to it. Strangeness, I thought.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Chemical, haven't the brothers done enough to earn your respect? Maybe if you were more humble and submissive, you would be able to let go of these worldly feminist viewpoints.

That was the feeling I got from a recent JW wedding talk I heard. Granted, I'm feeling a bit critical of most things JW these days, so take my comments for what they're worth. The husband was informed of his responsibility to be both head of the household and breadwinner. The wife was reminded of her position of "weaker vessel" and was encouraged to be patient with her imperfect husband. If they submit to their Biblical roles, Jehovah will lend himself to their marriage as the third chord and they will live happily ever after.

There is a JW sister I know who was a strong feminist but let it all go for "The Truth." Now, she dislikes the chore of making personal choices and says that she wishes the brothers would be more black and white on conscience matters so that she doesn't have to worry about making the wrong decision. She seems really happy being told what to do.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I remember one of those wedding talks about man head of household, woman weaker vessel. So this lovely young woman stood in front of over a hundren observors in this stunning gown (and I don't always find them stunning, this one was) with the most tasteful flowers and elegant decorations. Nothing frumpy about this wedding. And as she stood there her groom was admonished to gently exercise his headship by being sensitive to her monthly cycles! I just couldn't imagine how she felt in all this elegance and beauty having her period discussed. Truely out of touch.

NC

• Eclectic
    Eclectic

I always quote the exemples of Deborah (Judges 4) who was a judge and an authority in ancient Israel and Phoebe (Romans 16:1) minister at the local congregation in Cenchreae (same greek word -diakonos- rendered Ministerial Servant in 1 Timothy 3:8)

Then, I am sad reading Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35:

34. let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. 35 If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.

I have difficulties to reconcile those scriptures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit