There Goes My Wife. . . .

by southern.finesse 33 Replies latest jw friends

• southern.finesse
    southern.finesse

Thanks to everyone that has commented thus far. . .

@ D of C

Children were the only reason I have spent so much time and energy looking into this issue. I want kids, a couple to be frank and them how they will be raised is extremely important to me. I couldnt bring any kids into this marriage with us being on 2 different planes. I wouldn't want my kids to be around the environment of the WT. I really don't care what religious faith she has because she has to account for that but when it has direct impact on me and my kids is when it becomes an issue. My bedroom, holidays, movies, birthdays, and just the change of atmosphere in my household has drastically changed. I'm interested in watching how this all unfolds.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Southern Finesse,

I can't speak for you but if I did not have any kids and I saw my wife shunning holidays and birthdays and becoming too zealous in this religion, I probably would've checked out myself. I've been through worse in our marraige with my wife before she went running back into the bOrg and yet I (stupidly?) stayed with her thinking she'll get better. She did in some ways and our marraige is tolerable and sometimes pleasant.

Here's hoping things will work out for you one way or another. One thing that helped with me was to 'grow a pair' and become more assertive with what I expected. I'm the one with the male genitalia and therefore the head of the household, she cannot escape that. I think it also helped that for six years I was nice and even studied with them off an on.

Good luck.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    She told me if I want a king's list, . . to go talk to the brothers because she won't provide me with one (it makes her sick and can't focus). I always make the point that i'm not married to the brothers, im married to you.Yet, somehow she makes time for EVERYTHING else except doing the things I ask.

It isn't just her that does this. My lot do the same. Their other trick is to say it's all in the (insert name of book/brochure) and hope you'll drop it. It is their easiest 'out'. Even our Pentacostal Pest, Godrulz, pulls similar stunts when confronted with a problem, pretending that the 'answer' is in some book he doesn't even bother to quote.

My Dad wanted me to write to his church leaders rather than him providing me with an explanation of one of the 607 problems I had caught him out on. I told him that they were his church heirarchy, not mine, so he should ask them and give it to me. If he did write, I have never seen the reply.

All of my family members have had plenty of time to provide me with a king list. The list of excuses is longer than the king list.

(it makes her sick and can't focus)

Therefore, she knows there is a problem with it. This where you need the skills to get her to confront her cognitive dissonance. It goes without saying that you haven't got those skills. Aquiring them now might help if she is prepared to talk with you.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There are manyvery few successful "mixed" marriages in the congregations.

Corrected.

Most of the "mixed" marriages in the JW congregations suck (and not in the good way).

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

So sorry to hear about your wife and your marriage. I would imagine it's nearly impossible to

stay married to someone who is a JW...there are so many conflicts at every turn. Holidays,

birthdays, children all become problems. Of course, it's futile to try and argue your point with them.

They're so convinced the have "the truth" that anything you say will only push them further into

believing you're being influenced by Satan.

My sister recently returned a few years ago. We barely speak. I don't know what to say to her as she

feels it's okay to preach to me but when I start bringing up things about the organization she gets upset

and thinks I'm trying to negatively influence her. We used to be real close. We used to talk about growing up

JW and how damaging it was. Now she wants to go back?? I just don't understand. You lost your wife.

I lost my sister AND my best friend. I will never be the same.

• nugget
    nugget

She feels sick because of cognitive dissonance. It takes a lot to pull down the house of cards and she has tied herself to this religion and the people in it and can't face the prospect of walking away from it.

What concerns me more than anything is her attitude to you and that is the limiting factor. If she was being baptised but indicated love and affection for you and there was a degree of compromise then I would feel more positive. Not listening is a JW trait so is stubborness and lazy research.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Southern - I'm so sad for you and your marriage. I'm hoping that the loss of you will maybe wake her up to her priorities ...but its a sick cult with such powerful tentacles on peoples' minds. I havent read all the comments here....but I'd suggest you stay available on the edge of her life...but only on your own terms ....and wait and see what happens when the love bombing stops after her baptism....It might be a different story then?

Loz x

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I am sorry for your situation, and I'm glad you left when you did rather than endure more years of an impossible situation

• scary21
    scary21

Southern , I agree with Desirous ....... But if your not madly in-love get out now....if you are, you will make it work....goes both ways , she must be willing also. " In the Babylon the Great has fallen Gods kingdom rules " book (1963) pg 183-184 you will find the kings list. Simple math will show 586/587........from their own book........easy!..............or maybe NOT! lol good luck ( my husband is Catholic , I believed JW had the truth for the first 12 yrs of our marriage ) Agree to disagree, we did.

Sherry

• partydelights
    partydelights

Dear southern.finesse,

Having to "break up" with my wife was the greatest thing in my mind before I made the decision to leave WT. I read a lot during that time before I "jump" into the formality with her. (To date, I'm glad she left WT with me.)

I like to share some pointers I had used. Hopefully, you can benefit from this:

1) Recognize that the more you go against her, the more she'll be convinced you're from Satan. So please do not confront WT nor its teachings with her directly. You'll only distance yourself from her.

Rather, keep your comments little with regards WT and JW as an organization. Be diplomatic with you need to voice things out. Keep it to a sentence, at most two. Don't involved in an argument. Remember, she's suffering from cognitive dissonance. She's particularly sensitive to your comments.

On the negative note, she challenges you. On the positive note, she actually listens and takes to heart. So prepare punch lines that will sink right into her. In time, she'll feel the effects.

2) WT and JW Org has labeled you "unwholesome". If you treat her the same way WT pictures you, then you've fulfilled "WT prophecies".

Show her love as a husband.

Try NOT to end in intimacy unless it's her calling. Remember, WT indirectly painted a negative picture regarding sexual intimacy. So the more you can hold back this needs, the better. Let her be the one to initiate it.

Care for your children.

She'll not appreciate your monetary contribution. (Housing, car, food on the table, ... is a requirement from you. She'll partake them all, then curse you behind your back among her JW "sisters".)

Read Bible with your children instead. Use the NWT. Get her to be in the Bible Reading sessions. Let her know its Bible reading. "Nothing to do with religion". Use WT lingo with her. Argue that since you're not an Elder, you cannot teach using WT magazines. So you can only read from the Bible, as this is your God-Given responsibility. Quote the scriptures. Use NWT Bible. Use WT to support you.

3) Works, not words. Do things that make WT commentary looks silly. WT stereotyped everyone outside JW Org. So you're a fornicator, an idolater, a smoker, a gambler, ... in short, a good-for-nothing man. Proof yourself otherwise. First, do not become as any mentioned here. Then, show her attitudes required of an Elder and Ministerial Servant (qualifications listed in the Bible).

Over a period of time (took me ten years), she can compare you with someone "respectable". Listen carefully for these names and find out more about them. (If need to, go to the KH with her to know about these people). Remember, it takes a hypocrite to become an Elder. You will definitely find loopholes in their "love", "kindness", and best of all "humility". If that Elder told you his best quality is "humility", then he's the one that is least humble.

Exploit these. Bring out these points subtly. The higher the Elder's rank, the better. (It took a DO to break my wife's faith.) Bring them into your family association and build issues for them to solve. Let you wife see the hypocrisy they manifest.

The time will come when she cannot contain the "pain" generated by her cognitive dissonance. She'll break. You'll be good enough to bring her out then.

Pray hard. And may the grace of God be with you always.

PD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit