assemblies and alcohol

by pedal power 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

my brother always had a box of beer in his car for the conventions. he'd sneak out during the program and have a bottle or two.

a friend of mine was being baptized the next day, we partied so hard the day before, he was still drunk when they dunked him in.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

Wow......you guys would have been great to be around at those Conventions!! If I would have a drink there, I would have a Grey Goose and Red Bull or some Energy/Alcoholic beverages like a Sparks or Four Locos. Have one of them and your really buzzed but fully "aware" of the program.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

my EX-MIL would bring coffee with kalua... tasted good

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I can recall an International Assembly in 1978 in which one of the brothers doing "volunteer" work as a car park attendant had a bottle of beer with him, just in case he got thirsty on the job!

Certainly, heavy drinking after the end of each day at an assembly became common place, after they canned evening sessions (assembly sessions, that is!) from 1973 onwards. Previously, when the assembly program did not finish until after 9 pm each day, everybody was too worn out to party.

That so many sssembly delegates hit the bottle afterwards shouldn't be surprizing:

- it is enough to drive most people to drink!

Bill.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Our DC coming up this weekend, I hated them and the only thing that kept me going ,was the reward of booze at the end of each day.

Interesting. On another thread you said you weren't a JW. How the heck is your DC coming up this weekend, then?

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

In theory this is not allowed and I've never seen this kind of thing during the day, but hey, having to attend DCs these days is enough to drive almost anyone to drink.

V665V665

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Wow, I never heard of such a thing. Was this just in Europe? Not that I would done it, it was hard enough trying to not fall down the steep cement steps in an ankle length dress and high heels while I was completely sober.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I remember one assembly in particular in the rat hole called Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia back in the 1980's. We were assigned to go down there several times from the New York area and remember seeing how many people were getting tanked in the upper "yellow" seats level.

It was just a matter of bringing your cooler and spiking it with a bottle or two of vodka (one sister even mentioned to only use vodka since it has less of a smell and you don't want to stumble others ... lol).

Not to be a racist in any way, but the Philadelphia Italians seemed to have the process down right.

Rub a Dub

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

OMG--I had absolutely NO IDEA. Heathens! How come I got left out of the fun?? Well that explains the goofy smiles. Wish I had known.

NC

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

In those days food was still served they even had beer available in our conventions. Not the strongest sort but still. It was legally banned from minors so I could not get it, and when I could, I preferred the stronger ones and did not "participate". But my childhood convention memories are filled with beer.

CP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit