assemblies and alcohol

by pedal power 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

ohhh... i wish my conventions had alcohol ...

• Quendi
    Quendi

I attended district conventions from 1975-2005. I never saw Witnesses drinking. But I also have to say that I only attended three conventions where I stayed at a hotel. All the others were in cities within an hour's drive so I drove back and forth each day. I never heard annoucements from the podium warning Witnesses about excessive drinking either. The only time I heard annoucements made about being careful where one went and how one behaved was prior to the international convention in New Orleans in 1978. Strong warnings were issued about venturing into the French Quarter. My hotel was in the French Quarter and I did eat in the restaurants, but that was about it for me. Many other Witnesses, I learned later, partied very hard after the day's sessions ended.

Quendi

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Back in the 70's & 80's I used to attend the London Twickenham Stadium assemblies. We often had hot sunny weather. A small group of us young blades, along with some crumpet, would always slip away at lunch time, to a nearby pub for a couple of beers. The British JW's are not as alcohol adverse as Americans.

The end was due at any moment and not being sure we would be spared, we didn't want to face death sober. Wonderful days!

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I would've liked to get stoned right before the start of the convention. lol

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

This thread has some really funny "experience's" from our times in the WT culture:

"(With) Energy/Alcoholic beverages your really buzzed but fully "aware" of the program."

"(We'd) bring coffee with kalua... (for the DC) tasted good."

"(One bro. I knew) always had a box of beer in his car for the conventions."

"(Just) having to attend DC[']s these days is enough to drive almost anyone to drink."

From our comments it's clear that it wasn't always "the world" that had a bad effect on us!

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

LOL AwareBeing. Like telling little children don't do this don't do that. When living in the SE most of the former CO and wives were all closet drinkers. When I was a kid we would have the D.O. stay at my parents house and at the end of the CA back at my parents house he ask if they had something to drink? My parents had a full bottle of vodka. With just ice in the large glass we watch him drink the whole bottle like it was water. Only way JW can numb there mind from all the crap the WT feeds them is to drink. Totally ADD

• Gadget
    Gadget

I never drank at the Newcastle assembly, but the one year it was across the river at Gateshead stadium (1995) I'd just turned 18 and the choice of a pub right next to the assembly site or sitting in the baking sun bored out my skull was too much.....

Drinking too much is frowned on round here, but many people do it and as long as nobody complains or gets stumbled then a blind eye is turned.

• not bitter
    not bitter

After the Cardiff DC we would all head down to The Captains Wife. It was always the highlight of the assembly. But I remember one year I drank way too much Newcastle Brown that I threw up all night and couldn't make it to the next days session. Funnily enough I don't recall my elder dad telling me off about it. I'm sure he did but I must have wiped it from my memory.

• man in black
    man in black

back in the late 70's we would attend the Janesville, Wisconsin hall for our circuit assemblies. Since my friends and I were early mid teens and we hung out with many who were 19-20 yrs old. They would get several bottles of scotch-JD and hide them in the cabinet of their hotel room.

We all got a key to their room ( security at the Midway Inn did not exist then). And we would all stay up and watch Saturday Night Live and drink until around 1:00 am.

Then afterwards we would go back to our parents room, and since they were all sleeping they never knew what we were doing.

Many of my friends from back then became hardcore alcoholics, and several graduated to really heavy drug use.

Yup, those assemblies really were encouraging to them !!

• homejah
    homejah

I read a report of heavy drinking in the DS in Sweden. Did not know it happened almost everywhere in the world. No question during the Rutherford years there was drinking galore at those assemblies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit