Patterson Bethelites and Reassignment

by Patty Cake 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Patty Cake
    Patty Cake

Hi Eveyone,

I grew up in a family of JW's, I was never baptized. I have two brothers who are elders, one is a Bethelite in Patterson. From what I've heard, my Bethelite brother is afraid of being "reassigned". Are there any tell-tale signs that reassignment is emminent? I'm really concerned about his future, since he has spent all of his adult life in Bethel. I get more concerned the more I read about all that new construcition. All the posts I've read regarding Bethelite reassignment are years old - does anyone have any new info?

Thanks,

PC

• Gayle
    Gayle

Could he be re-assigned/demoted out to "special pioneering?" With all the new "construction" (the 'new' ministry - ?) plans, are contruction crews getting more priority/value?

• undercover
    undercover

Is that what they're calling it when they send them packing? Reassigned?

In the real world, it's called "layoffs" when a company downsizes. In fantasyland, er, WT World, it's called "sending workers out to serve where the need is great".

• Patty Cake
    Patty Cake

@Gayle - Seems to me from I've heard, reassignment only means special pioneering (or at least includes it as a component - if you want a stipend.) I don't think they're giving priorty to building, more like they seem to be wanting to get rid of some of the older folks and keep a young staff - I'm assuming to save on health care costs.

@undercover - Yeah, wish they'd call it what it is - although that seems to be a trait of corporations in general. "Layoff" is also a bit sanitary for my tastes - but is still preferable to that "need is great" crap.

Anyone heard anything? I haven't talked to my Bethelite brother in years and got the info I have from my other brother. I'm not sure why he told me what he did. The brother who told me about the reassignment stuff is a former Bethelite, so maybe drank too much beer and lost his head :0

PC

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Also, the need really IS great in local congregations. Many smart and capable elders are stepping down and leaving the Borg. Local congregations are desperate for company men.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Being 'reassigned' is being 'laid off' in Watchtowerspeak.

So if you have a family member whose job in bethel can be downsized or farmed out, YES - they should be concerned about being 'reassigned'.

• Patty Cake
    Patty Cake

Especially concerned since they switched him to what seems like a non-job-job a few years ago (meaning that he had a job with a lot of responsibility and was suddenly shifted into a different completely different job that, from what I can see, doesn't really need to exist.) I was told that he's been concerned for awhile now...just wasn't sure if things were stepping up there recently.

My hope is that this whole mess will shake him up enough so that he leaves. I'm thinking that he feels betrayed by the BOrg. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but nothing wrong with that.

Thanks.

PC

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

The current status at Bethel is that no one is "safe" and that anyone can be "re-assigned" at any time for any reason. The sad part is that you are not always sent out to special pioneer which means that you are still receving a stipend. Some are sent out to regular pioneer which means you are on you own.

Construction, Engineering and any other skills that require special training are being farmed out so that the Bethelite is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Your brother should be concerned and he should be proactive. It might be better for him to leave on his own terms. I did and it was for the best.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

They are starting to send some out to "pasture". I have no proof but my gut feeling is they are getting rid of the ones who are older and not yet at retirement age (so they can find a job) and replacing them with the young. Young ones are still submittimg their applications and getting accepted. So if the WTS is consolidating why are they taking on the younger recruits?

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

I know a married couple that was "reassigned" from Patterson to a congregation in the last few months. Not much warning beforehand. Another relative of mine is at Patterson. He and his wife are worried especially after seeing what happened to the other couple. I too am a bit surprised considering the department they are in.

It is a tough economy and donations aren't what they used to be. The WTS is looking for ways to cut back. I think your brother should start preparing himself for living on an allowance while Special Pioneering. It is going to be tough. All of my friends that were reassigned in the last 3 or 4 years are no longer special pioneering, it was just too much and the allowance plus support from the congregations just wasn't enough. High gas prices, car problems, and all the other necessities of life are a hard pill to swallow after having all your needs taken care of for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit