Patterson Bethelites and Reassignment

by Patty Cake 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

When I left Bethel 16 years ago I went right into full time work which was frowned upon of course. I didn't care. I knew that I needed to make as much money as possible to make it. Fifteen years later I am glad I did. Having left the WT I have a newtork of business associates and friends all over the country that I would not have had if I had lived as miser and suffered.

When they would talk to me I used to tell all those leaving Bethel who ask me what they should do: "Get a job and work hard. Learn to take care of yourself, because no one else will."

Happy is the an who finds refuge in himself.

• Dudu
    Dudu

It is happenning worldwide ..... Europe, Latin America, Patterson ... They are closing some Bethels and "reassigning" old ppl in others ... I have friends who has been reassigned to pioneer, others sent home without reason.

• Quendi
    Quendi

The Society has closed its Costa Rica branch office and given responsibility for the work there to the Mexico branch. I suppose some of the branch staff were "reassigned" and others might simply have been let go. But "reassignment" is real, and the new locations aren't always nice choices, either. I know about a couple who had been in Brooklyn for more than thirty-five years. Their "reassignment" as special pioneers will see them banished to the Republic of Georgia, once part of the Soviet Union. Needless to say, they can't speak either Georgian or Russian, but they are being sent there anyway. The country is struggling with at least two secessionist movements, and Jehovah's Witnesses themselves face strong opposition from the Orthodox Church. It's a wonderful reward, isn't it, for a lifetime of service! This couple is meekly going to Georgia, but I have heard that others were quite upset about being reassigned.

Quendi

• Gayle
    Gayle

The reality of any organization sending people in their 50s+ across the world, not knowing the language, and where there is opposition there for the WTS's "extremism",, therefore considered high persecution by members of their religion, is just insane, extremely unloving, and absurd.

• Patty Cake
    Patty Cake

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I haven't been online much lately and just saw some of your replies.

Thanks doinmypart, considering what you wrote I'm going to try to find out if my brother is still there...it's been a few months since I talked with anyone in my family. He is of the crucial age that is being discussed, so I'm sure he's a prime candidate. In my brother's case, I'm more concerned about the culture shock of living outsiide of Bethel, mixed in with the trauma of devoting your life to something and getting kicked in the teeth for it than the financial aspect.

I did not know that folks were being reassigned overseas from the USA. I'd think that at the least they'd send someone to a country whose language the Bethelites spoke! I feel my anger meter rising...

Thanks again,

PC

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hi PC, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

I've been out about 5 years, just before they started kicking people to the curb. I phoned a friend recently that left about 9 months after me who has kept in touch with some in bethel. I'd wondered why nobody seemed to care about keeping in touch with me, and he said that everybody was too busy cleaning the crap out of their pants to write (okay, not exactly those words, but you get the idea).

The people that had gone in with the idea that bethel would provide stability and security are now living in uncertainty and insecurity. People who have given decades get nervous when the phone rings or when they get one of those special envelopes in the mail. People get moved around among departments to remind them that they're expendable. It sounded really ugly.

I might know your brother. PM if you want to talk details.

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit