Lining up to kiss the bride is not allowed. Watchtower Question from Readers.

by ThomasCovenant 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Violia
    Violia

religion is often so concerned with controlling the women among them. We are just children to be controlled and subdued and pummeled into submission.

this is an old article. I feel like I have seen more up to date response to this . Usually now they are much more PC than the writer of that article. The stress is always of moderation and our dress and behavior exalting Jehovah's Organization .

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Further,

Watchtower 15th January 1965 page 62,

''At worldly receptions special honor and attention are often given the bride.

They toast her, they line up to kiss her, and in some places they even pay to dance with her.

Stop and think. Consider, for example, 1 Corinthians 11:3, 8, 9 and Romans 1:24, 25.

Is it in harmony with God's principles thus to highly honor a creature, exalting a woman? What will you do? Join with the crowd, or refrain? Such a worldly atmosphere is certainly not a good one, though the Christian wife of an unbeliever may find that it is not always possible to avoid such surroundings.''

Old or not this is still current shite unless they put in print that it is now ok to kiss the bride.

• talesin
    talesin

We may use a shower as an occasion to help, but we do not have to wait for such occasions, we do not have to fit our giving into such customary times and seasons.

ahahahahaha ,,,,, our giving

hypocrites!!!!

Now I know why we were never allowed to put our names on the gifts. STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID

Homer Simpson has nuttin' on Jehooover and his idiot witlesses.... DOH!

tal

• Violia
    Violia

The jws wedding I attended in my area always had a reception line and the Brides was often kissed ( on the cheek), and the groomed got his hand shook. Most of the kissing done was from family or very close friends. I don't ever recall everyone kissing he bride, especially other males in her age group. I've seen men offer their hand , kiss her hand etc in a polite gesture of honor and respect. I think that is lovely.

a lot of this had to do with where you are on the earth. Jws are very much affected by the customs of the people in their community.

anyway, I think the question of gatherings among Christians has been addressed several times in the mags. The usual advice is to keep them at a manageable size, limit or not allow alcohol, invites only, no loud or obscene worldly music or suggestive dancing, no names on gifts. the advice has always been to make sure we reflect the values of the Organization and not bring dishonor on Jehovah or the Org.

I could tell by the way the author of the article wrote that it was old, b/c they are much more PC and generalized now.

there are other customs associated with weddings that jws don't do, throwing rice being one I think of right away. I am not sure if they are OK with the other customs of decorating the car and hanging shoes etc off the car, probably that just comes under drawing undue attention to oneself and being immodest.

they really try and stifle any kind of fun and spontaneous behavior . they are so afraid that you give one of jws alcohol and who knows what may occur.

• blondie
    blondie

A 1965 WT was the last mention of kissing the bride in a line after the wedding. I knew that certain ethnic groups in my area would give her money ($1 or more) after the kiss.

You May Now Kiss The Bride

by Kitty Ariza, Ariza Accents/The Nuptial Knot, Moreno Valley, CA

Did you ever wonder where that custom came from? Well... it is believed it comes from the western world, but has reach the four corners of the earth. The kiss between the bride and groom is believed to have started in ancient Rome, for a strange reason, as written in A Treasury Of American Superstition. A suspicious husband in Rome pressed his lips on his wife's to to learn if she had been drinking wine! Then in time this led to the betrothal or marriage kiss to show good faith between lovers.

At most weddings the "free for all" kissing the bride takes place right after the wedding, but there has been interesting variations of bride-kissing. In Scotland, the pastor had to be the first to kiss the bride, it is believed her happiness depended on it. There was another custom that when the husband kissed the wife she had to cry, if she didn't her married life would be full of tears. There was another custom that the bride had to kiss all the men present.

Today, however the grooms kiss seems to be a part of the ceremony as a symbolic gesture to seal the matrimonial sacred vows just exchanged. So now when you kiss your husband you know the meaning behind the kiss, you may even want to cry.

CREDITS

Kitty Ariza
    Ariza Accents/The Nuptial Knot
    Moreno Valley, CA

www.thenuptialknot.com
    909-787-0811

http://www.weddingzone.net/px-tr006.htm

• undercover
    undercover

Sexually suggestive or passionate dancing to blaring jazz is not for Christians

The WTS just hates music doesn't it?

Jazz, then the Twist and similar dance tunes, then rock n roll, then disco, then pop, then metal, then hip hop and rap...and even country has been crapped on. And if you're still in doubt, just listen to Kingdom Melodies... proof positive that the WTS hates music. That shit will make you turn off the player and prefer silence evermore.

• badseed
    badseed

I want to go in a bar and listen to that loud jazz music..lol

• donny
    donny

So kissing the bride equals woman exalting?

Haha

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I guess the "YMCA" song is out at a Christian wedding reception. (Sorry, video will not post)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsgyOqcz2Tg

YMCA Wedding

jcr2001 4 videos Subscribe

6,333 Like Add to Share

Uploaded by jcr2001 on Sep 18, 2007

These guys were the light of my wedding... Funny as HELL!!!

• 9 likes, 0 dislikes
    Show more Show more
  • skeeter1
    skeeter1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd_X2QFq7k8

This one is better. Those worldly people! They should be singing Jehovah praises...

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit