London Ohio and Indianapolis Assemby Halls to be sold

by munchausen 50 Replies latest jw friends

• 2tone
    2tone

An elder an I had a discussion about this assembly hall. He said it had a cost of 6 to 7 million. I asked him if were so close to the end why not just to maintenance to the current assembly halls and just limp them along. It would be cheaper initially to limp them along and less strain on people concerning money and labor. He went into some mumbo jumbo about how it would be cheaper in the long run. I guess armageddon isnt happening for 20 or 30 years. I asked how it could be cheaper when were going to have to rent a hotel for our one day assembly and two day assembly. Seems to me nobody took that into account. As a whole it will cost more money for families just because of hotel costs. How can some families even afford it? Its goin to be about a 3 hour drive for some people.

On a side note. I find it interesting when were out in service and pass by a huge extravagent church. Some always says how ridiculous the money spent on that church was. How as jehovah witness our kingdom halls are modest. Yeah right were just like any other religion with hour huge assembly halls.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

2tone, that's funny because one of my coworkers who lives by my old circuit assembly hall in Belleville, MI said she thought it was large and pretentious, and she was raised as a Catholic, so go figure.

• 2tone
    2tone

serenitynow!, I remember also people saying out in service about churches, "look at the those places of false worship, those poor people think they have the truth". Or something like "those places will be destroyed." They always laughed about churches when they talked about them in service. It always made me angry. It was arrogant and disrepectful to act that way. I corrected those people in service saying that we shouldnt talk bad about other churches because children hear us saying those things and tell there grandma or relative who attends the church that there church is bad. That it would give witnesses a bad name. People were like oh my your right.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

How could they talk bad about the churches? So often in Michigan the JWs sold their property to churches, which I found strange.

• 2tone
    2tone

I just made the comment to my girlfriend the other day. Why do we sell kingdom halls if there suppose to be dedicated to Jehovah or what not?

• ziddina
    ziddina

In a way, it almost sounds like the Watchtower Corporation is going in the direction of the "mega-churches"...

Build 'em big and get LOTS of members inside - with hopefully an accompanying increase in donations, to boot - I'm talking about the mega-churches, here...

Zid

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Bigger and fewer large assembly halls within secure fencing and gates...

Fewer kingdom halls with several 'halls' inside secure fencing and gates...

sound like preparation for closed compounds to me....

oz

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oooo, Oz, I didn't think of that!!!

At the very least, it will isolate the JWs still further from so-called "apostate" protesters who will find it more difficult to get in close to the buildings and the JWs...

But I thnk that's just a by-product...

As others have stated, it seems to be all about the money...

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I heard this week that the Southwest Ohio Assembly Hall that had been planned near Cincinnati will not be built after all, at least any current plans are taken off the schedule. The London Ohio assembly hall will continue to be used.

What gets me is that they had a special box in the hall for collections for this project, and the local congregation gave 400-500 dollars each month for several years. Now the money is gone and the project won't be built. They just kept the money. It's sad that no one here seemed to notice.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Ha-ha, I remember all of the hype about this. We went to Indy for assemblies at times, though honestly it was closer for us to head to Frankfort (KY) so we would often just go there. The drive was shorter. No hotels needed. I wondered how they could consolidate and put more stress on attendees having to drive farther. In the end, was it just a money grab? I seem to remember slips being passed around back then to pledge money monthly to support the new assembly hall. What about the pledge to actually build it, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit