New 3D smurf movie

by jwfacts 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Oh the horror!!! This is no doubt one more sign that we are quickly approaching the end. Satan has managed to project 3D images of his evil blue followers into theaters and homes to pollute and recruit young ones in to becoming one of his evil minions. This is the worst event since the Nephilim walked the earth...oh the horror of it all!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They were a social taboo phenomenon, not a Borg-sanctioned taboo. Nobody ever got DFd for it but the question needs to be considered: will anti-Smurf stories resurface in the JDub community again as this movie comes out? Will any JWs see the Smurfs for what they are - mere cartoon creatures - and look back on the lunacy of the 80s JDubs thinking how stupid superstitious urban legends can be?

• sd-7
    sd-7

I'm seeing tons of ads about it on public transportation right now. I actually think that Smurfette looks pretty hot, weird as that sounds... But I definitely remember watching The Smurfs. I didn't think anything of it, and I guess Mom didn't, either. I think I remember the Smurf urban legend or whatever. But isn't 'Cowboys & Aliens' coming out the same day? That's going to be a tough decision...oh, right, can't afford either! If I could, I'd just make it a double feature. But that's something from my younger days...

--sd-7

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

My wife and I were cracking up at the Smurf trailer we recently saw and shared the crazy stories we were told as kids. Even though she's a believer, she thought the Smurf stories were stupid. We'll be taking the kids to see it. I sure hope they don't jump off the screen and scare the smurf out of me!!

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I vaguely remember the weird Smurf rumors circulating around in JW land. I wasn't allowed to watch Smurfs, but then again even back then I didn't really want to watch Smurfs, it was on par with the Care Bears and wearing pink or drawing rainbows and hearts like this All of those things being a no-no for boys. Something funny to me was, we couldn't watch the Smurfs back then, but it was ok to watch Transformers, or the Go-Bots. Harry Potter and Avatar is taboo, but the violence in nature programs such as lions eating gazelle is encouraged. Or my favorite, boxing and MMA are taboo, but football and hockey are A-Ok. There's never any rhyme or reason to the unwritten rules, or even the written ones.

• sd-7
    sd-7

What? You never watched the Care Bears? Man, you missed out. "Care Bears--STARE!" That was classic stuff, man! I mean, I watched Transformers, too, and He-Man--even had a big Castle Grayskull. I thought She-Ra was pretty hot, and then Dad took it away because he didn't realize it wasn't a case of me liking girls' stuff so much as it was a case of me liking girls.

But anyway, Smurfs didn't seem like it was particularly geared at girls to me. There were boys and girls in the story, and a cat and a sorcerer. I don't know. What I do know is that, evidently, this generation of Smurfs overlaps with the lives of the generation of Smurfs I saw as a kid, and therefore they are of the same generation. That generation had a beginning, and it will have an end.

--sd-7

• Reality79
    Reality79

I don't remember ever hearing about this Smurf scare nonsense when I was in, but the urban myth about a toy smurf walking out of a KH is funny as hell!

I can imagine the reaction of folk in there and all the local needs talks telling members not to watch the movie.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

She-Ra never did anything for me as I was always intrigued by the bad girls, although, I couldn't quite articulate back then why I though Evil-Lyn, Baroness, Entrapta, Shadow Weaver or Cat-ra were fascinating to me. It didn't make sense until around high school, that it all started making sense to me. The green haired broad from RoboTech intrigued me for some reason too.

I never had any He-Man or She-Ra figures, as they were taboo in my folk's house due to the sorcery end of things, not to mention Skeletor's face and name. I don't recall my folks ever making a big deal over Mumm-ra on the Thundercats though, why the double standard LOL? He was the epitome of evil, and immortal at that as he was the ever living.

Was Smurfette's background ever explained? She was the only female in the whole clan, and there was a ton of them, so where they'd all come from?

• mummatron
    mummatron
    The Smurf thing never happened in the UK. They were just used to advertise a brand of Petrol. oh and Father Abraham sang a stupid song with them. They were certainly never mentioned among the witnesses as demons!

Yeah, I certainly don't remember any furore amongst the dubs here in the UK either. As an elder's daughter I was allowed to watch it, only it was dubbed into Welsh: 'Y Smyrffs'.

I was also allowed to watch Care Bears. My mum wasn't so keen on me watching He-Man or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles though, which is daft considering there was far more violence in an episode of Tom & Jerry or Looney Tunes.

• fade_away
    fade_away

I don't blame the smurf walking out of the KH. I'm sure the BS being spoken on the stage was enough to make it leave. He's like "screw this I'm outta here."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit