taking the long view

by amicus 31 Replies latest social relationships

• mommy
    mommy

I have had turtle as well TW, but mine was in a soup, very yummy:)Then again you can put any kind of meat in soup, and it tastes good!
    I like gator tail as well, it has a very rich taste to it almost like steak.
    But my all time favorite is dolphin (no not flipper) but the smaller dolphin, it doesn't taste fishy either, very meaty:)
    wendy

• Seven
    Seven

Mommy, 'Gator tail is great on the grill! Here's a good recipe for alligator sauce piquante, if you can get your hands on some
    'gator meat: Boil about 4-5 lbs. of alligator meat for 5 minutes to get rid of some of the fat. Rinse the meat in clean water(what other kind would you use?) In a big black iron pot brown the meat. Remove the meat and clean the pot. Put 4 tablespoons of oil in the pot, now add 4 tbps. of flour. Stir until the color of a penny. Chop 3 medium onions and 1 green pepper(chopped). Cook until soft. Add one 8oz can of tomato paste and 3 cans of Rotel tomatoes. Simmer it for 30 minutes. Add 4 cloves of garlic, 'gator meat, 1/4c chopped parsley, chop 2 bunches of green onion tops, 4 bay leaves, some cayenne pepper,
    black pepper and salt to taste, 1tbsp paprika and a pound of andouille
    sausage. Simmer this for 25 minutes. Throw in a stick or more of butter and cook for an additional 40 minutes. This is served over rice. Alligator meat is expensive so don't screw it up.

Seven

Btw, welcome to the board, Amicus.

• amicus
    amicus

SevenofNine,
    You are amazing. I'm fairly new to this site, but I've read some of your entertaining posts. I followed a thread for a while in which you had been criticized and then defended. I was tempted to jump in on the defense but decided to sit it out. It's been my experience that women who are obviously as outstanding as you are, grow tired of my gender either trying to rush to your defense or attract your attention. Grilled gator tail? I may just print that one out and stick it in one of my survival handbooks. Makes me want to rush out and wrestle a 'gator into submission and relieve him of his tail. They do grow back don't they?
    mommy,
    Size is not the issue. All frogs could be Kermy and all dolphins Flipper. I like to play it safe and avoid eating anything with a face.
    thinkers wife,
    Bingo! Froglegs taste like a very flavorful chicken.
    Claudia,
    Eating frogs really isn't that hard, you just have to think of something...well...just...not...so...greeeen.
    RedHorseWoman,
    I ALWAYS share. My food comes with a disclaimer, though. I occasionally get carried away and throw in a little garlic and onion (some say a little too much g. and o.).
    Prisca,
    Oops, I almost you. Sorry, you're way up there. Thanks, hi and bye!

• amicus
    amicus

mommy,
    I was working in my garage when, in my "selectively photographic" memory,I reviewed my post. My dietary peculiarities are my own. I meant no offense.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Amicus,
    Cool to meet someone who apparently will try anything. I love trying all kinds of things. My husband pretty much will too.
    I have had beaver tail. That wasn't so hot. But maybe I just didn't do it right.
    Garlic and onions always fixes anything.
    Gator' tail sounds interesting. But where to find it?
    Sea eel is also delicious, but it also jumps around in the pan.
    Wendy,
    I've had the turtle in soup too. Wonderful!!
    TW

• amicus
    amicus

TW,
    Your diet has been much more interesting than mine. The most exotic thing I've eaten was octopus. It was good, although I remembered that octopi are pretty intelligent (I think they are = to dogs)and people keep them as pets (train 'em too!). I just hoped the babies I 'et hadn't been anyone's pet.

• mommy
    mommy

Amicus,
    It is ok,I don't get offended easily! It might have something to do with the 75lb armor I wear:)
    Seven,
    My mouth is WATERING. I can't wait to take a trip to Florida to pick up some more gator. I never paid for it, I have friends that get a permit to hunt.Which reminds me I have never seen gator in the grocery store, only in restaurants. How much are they asking for it?
    Thinkers wife,
    You are not to far from me (geographically)so next time your making turtle soup, give me a holler I will ride right up:)
    wendy

• amicus
    amicus

mommy,
    I'm glad. I feel better now. I'm not easily offended either. In my case it's either due to my extra thick skull or my very small brain. Maybe both.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Wendy,
    You just come right on up here. Bring the brood. I'll find something mouth watering to fix for you.
    TW

• Seven
    Seven

Wendy, 'Gator meat is running anywhere from $8.00 to $12.75 per lb. I'm able to order it from my grocer. It's great that you have friends who are permitted to hunt them. Here's a click where you can have some FedEx'd to you. http://www.louisianafoods.com/market/exotic.html

Amicus, We are all amazing here.
    Seven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit