Idle question about Abraham and Human Sacrifice

by corpusdei 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

This is how the Witnesses may defend this account. Abraham had reasoned in his head that god could resurrect his son. He came to this conclusion because god had, in effect, resurrected Sarah's womb. You see? He had full faith that god would resurrect Isaac, based on god's promise that Abraham would become a great nation through the child he had with Sarah. Sarah was 90-years-old when she got pregnant in her resurrected womb, so god had already proven himself. Just trying to get you ready for the show down.

Problematic isn't it?

NC

Edited to say: I just can't read larsinger's post again. I couldn't get through it the first time. It made me ill halfway through. Of course it's god's right to limit a human's lifespan. Bloodthirsty god. UGH---I'm so glad I'm free of it!

In fact, there are Bible verses that represent precisely that? That is, if your eye offended you, wouldn't you pluck it out to save the rest of the body and preserve life? Of course!

DUH, WELL OF COURSE!!! Who wouldn't want to worship a god that requires self-mutilation. I haven't seen many bible believers plucking out their own eyes. Hmmmm---faithless mothers aren't they?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Every time the Jewish fable writers needed to make someone into a creative principle, they had God add an "h" to their name. Thus, Abram becomes Abraham and Sarai becomes Sarah.

• Terry
    Terry

Animism was the earliest belief about the mysterious world in which primitive man dwelled.

There was spirit/soul in everything from rivers to forests to objects, weather, etc.

A thunderbolt was pretty damned scary as was a meteorite striking the earth.

Cowering, fearful man sought to BRIBE the invisible spirit which dwelled in the scary place to NOT HARM him.

That bribe could consist of practically anything of value from vegetables to prized animals and even, in dire circumstances, a cherished human (usually a virgin daughter.)

This was quite a sacrifice and demonstrated (so the fearful importuning human believed) proper respect to the local deity/spirit/soul/god.

Even today in modern times remnants of such a belief continue to find expression in religious ritual such as the Mexican Day of the Dead in which plates of food and other offerings are laid out for wandering spirits.

Catholics give up something dear for Lent.

Martin Luther promised God (during a violent thunderstorm) that he'd become a Monk if God spared him a lightning bolt to the body!

Abram (Abraham) is claimed as a forefather by three major religions (Judaism, Muslims, Christians) as a man of great faith who held nothing back from God.

The story has undoubtedly been retold enough times to shape it into what we have today.

In one version of the story Abram leaves the altar WITHOUT Isaac! The deed having actually been carried out!

• watson
    watson

Holy Apologist, Batman!!

• tec
    tec

I don't think we fully understand the account. I believe something is missing to the story. Perhaps it is as with Job, we only see part... not in full, and so do not understand. I know that throughout the same OT, human sacrifice was abhorrent to God. It is even written that He never even wanted sacrifice of animals, etc.

If I don't understand something, I look to Christ for understanding. He came to show us the truth, after all. Christ is how we see God. And Christ never killed anyone, asked anyone to kill another person, asked for sacrifices either to himself or to his Father. He gave his life... for us. (and yes, He did so willingly - He could have refused and/or stopped it)

I think it is important to remember though, that God did not allow Abraham to sacrifice his son.

Peace,

Tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Darth! Geez, the first one made me laugh. The second one is going to give me nightmares! That was written for CHILDREN. It's one f**ked up book!

NC

• still thinking
    still thinking

marking this corpusdei...this is another good point that you raise...I am seriously starting to think differently about who this god Jehovah really is....

2 Corinthians 13:11 Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

1 John 4:16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

THis does not sound like the same God as in the OT

Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 5:9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

sizemik....Good point that you raise too....a lot of the bible seems to seriously contradict what Jesus told us about his father. Maybe he was trying to tell us that the Jehovah God is not the God we should be worshiping...kind of makes sense when you look at the type of religions the Jehovah God inspires. And what they do.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Tammy love and respect ya, but how much of the bible(gods inspired word) do you need to change to make your belief in god work?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I know I've posted this before, but it makes me laugh everytime. It addresses, briefly, the Isaac story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

• still thinking
    still thinking

Even in the OT gods followers were told....DO NOT KILL...but Jehovah seems to make exeptions when it is for him or HIS people. Killing is not only Ok"d but encouraged.

The NT however expands on this by telling us not only shouldn't we kill, but we should love our enemies. Did god change his mind? He really is doing flip flops if this is the same god.

Romans 13:9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit