Do you think the British are a proud nation?

by not bitter 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

My own history, one among millions, is rooted in British history. We Americans of a certain age love the British for their tenacity and unique character. Most of us get our impressions of the British from their liturature, language and, yes, movies! My sense of humor, for example, is at home among those people. Having visited the UK a couple of times and once coming pretty close to relocatiing there for a 2 year stint, I still feel an affinity for them. I have a realistic view of what the country is like today and I have to admit, I am not even interested in being a tourist again.

We have many British XJWs here, not to mention our founder and Brit expatriot Simon, now Canadian. Also, Besty & Sweetpea, now southern Californian degenerates. (kidding!) Lets hear from some of them.

(PS. I regularly re-read Charles Dickens just for the pure enjoyment of his 19th century British stories.)

• mrquik
    mrquik

OK, OK you got me. I have to admit my greatgrandfather was a wee Scottsman with the last name of Garland. So, if there are any cranky,cynical & short Scottsmen named Garland.... How's it hangin cuz?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Glander - Besty and Sweetpea are back in Blighty!

• St George of England
    St George of England

To be born an Englishman means you have already won first prize in the lottery of life.

George

• wobble
    wobble

Yes George, after all, God is an Englishman.

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Well I guess one thing the British are proud of is their royal sense of humor. peacemyUKfriends paulnotsaul

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Well I guess one thing the British are proud of is their royal sense of humor.

That is so true, we can even spell HUMOUR! I think humour has changed however, or maybe it's just because I'm old. Tony Hancock, Tommy Cooper, The Two Ronnies, Morcombe & Wise, Frankie Howerd, Benny Hill, were all my favourites. Nothing like them any more.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit