Do you think the British are a proud nation?

by not bitter 26 Replies latest jw friends

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

I think both nations will be eating humble pie in the near future. Get your fork ready. peacetothehumbleones paulnotsaul

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Agincourt. Magna Carta. Shakespeare. Common Law. Impressive. WWII and the blitz- extremely impressive. Americans are great at superficial patriotism such as flag waving and singing. Great Britain has descened from its lofty role. Now the United States is starting its descent. Americans believe we are exceptional, the top of the top, the best in history.

I don't know. My view of Britain is shaped by Masterpiece Theatre.

• redhare67
    redhare67

No, not any more, they have put a side the Bible that they once used to become a proud nation and had God s blessing, likewise the American people!

• Caedes
    Caedes

Redhare67,

Have you ever been to the UK? If not I would suggest visiting stonehenge, the roman spa in Bath, the London Eye, Warwick castle, the remains of the Mary Rose, the natural history museum, the cutty sark, the SS great britain, Doctor Who, Shakespeare, the royal observatory at Greenwich, the science museum, Buckingham palace, the Houses of Parliament, tower bridge, Down house, Stephensons Rocket, the Globe, any of Brunel's works,the Falkirk wheel, watch a rugby match.........(some time later)..................... the Eden project. etc. Then and only then might you have some idea of how proud a nation the UK is. (Grumpy old men and ex-pats notwithstanding)

• wobble
    wobble

I don't think there really is a "british" nation. A lady told me the other day "I would die for my contry !" , she came from Northern Ireland, and that place is what she meant by her "country".

We are still tribal, the "United Kingdom" is a fiction, and one that is crumbling as greater independance is sought by its various parts.

I am English, not proud of that, it is an accident of birth, the English,along with the rest of the "British" have alot to be ashamed of in the past, and some of that past is quite recent !

Yes, we also have things to be proud of, as have most nations, but there is not sufficient evidence to justify any feeling of superiority over other peoples.

I think an impartial look at America, or indeed any nation, will come to the same conclusion, things to celebrate, but lessons to be learned.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'm with paulnotsaul.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Caedes is right. we have so much to be proud of. I focus on the positives, but am very conscious of the negatives too!

• mummatron
    mummatron

Every day when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OwyR-ir9XX4

• mrquik
    mrquik

OK Mumm; Now you've got me thinking. Is there a country called Welsh I'm unaware of?

• mummatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit