Motels in Amarillo TX . Raise rates for brothers, have consequences!

by Bonnie_Clyde 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Once, I left a JW tract as part of a "tip" for the maid. But I also left $3 along with the tract.

When I came back later that day, the money was taken but not the tract. Back then I was disappointed but today I'm glad, because it means that I definitely didn't have an active part in some hotel maid possibly becoming a JW.

• luna2
    luna2

JWs are masters at turning any sort of positive turn of phrase or throw away comment into a hearty endorsement by local government. The phrasing of that comment sounds so familiar to me. Makes you wonder if there's any truth to it.

I guess its a benefit for hotels to sell more rooms than they normally would, but, as has been said, many JWs are mega cheap and I'll bet, due to packing each rented room to capacity, they avoid acquiring quite a few more hotel rooms than another group would. I also know of dubs who brought their own food to eat for dinner, avoiding dining in restaurants...they were the minority, but it shows the mindset. Of course, when you have congregations with many single mothers with little money, you're going to get a lot of penny pinching customers. Just hard to believe that Amarillo would send a delegation to Bethel in order to attract this caliber of customer.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Either that is one of the 89.7% of convention "experiences" that are made up, or the politicians/business people were simply trying to butter up their potential customers.

TX to NY is a very long drive....how much would that trip cost? Gas/airfare, meals, hotel, and the salaries of a group of people....just to say something they could have done by telephone? The cost of the trip would outweigh any profit, I'd imagine.

How much is sales tax in that city anyway, so much that a few less sales at Wal-Mart and McDonald's would put the Chamber into inter-state begging mode?

Dubs being a goldmine....come on! They're the biggest cheapskates.

This is the funniest part:

This is NOT a spoiler.

ORLY? News flash--there is no wts news--there hasn't been anything new since 1899--there is no such thing as a spoiler! ROFL

• Scully
    Scully

I find it hard to believe that a tour of Brooklyn Bethelâ„¢ and the facilities in Paterson were on the agenda. That in itself would be almost 2 solid hours of driving. I feel very sad for those poor Chamber of Commerce people being stuck in vehicles with JWs preaching at them for that amount of time. I'm kind of surprised there were no highway incidents of Texans jumping from moving vehicles [owned by the WTS] along the NJ turnpike.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I remember in the 1970s the story was going around that the military went to the conventions and toured, then said they marveled at the way the conventions were run, noting the kitchens set up to feed thousands.......soon after, the kitchens were closed and they went to the sandwich arrangement.

I guess the GB could rule the world the way the WT headquarters are set up-of course, everyone in the government would be expected to take a vow of poverty...I don't see that happening.

• hoser
    hoser

Just some questions? who are the three businessmen? what businesses do they represent?

It would sure add credibility to the story if more details were added.

I think it's made up.

Hoser

• moshe
    moshe
    three businessmen? what businesses do they represent?

They were probably JW elders- they own a local janitorial, window cleaning and carpet cleaning business in town. Details, the devil is in the details.

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

I heard this same story circulating among JW's decades ago when I was still in. This is a repeat of the same story, maybe just a different location this time.

• blondie
    blondie

I checked with my source and they think it was from years ago...........jws don't need the facts, after all the WTS does not supply the timing in their articles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit