Motels in Amarillo TX . Raise rates for brothers, have consequences!

by Bonnie_Clyde 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Another email I got a couple of weeks ago. Jehovah's spirit at work in Amarillo, TX ....How do you like the comment from the chamber of commerce?

Motels in Amarillo TX . Raise rates for brothers, have consequences!

Hello Dear friends,

Here is a tidbit from our convention here in Amarillo . This is NOT a spoiler. The item was included in our closing talk and related to the entire
    brotherhood in the US branch.

It seems the motel association here in Amarillo decided to cease giving any breaks to our brothers coming to the annual convention which has been held
    here in Amarillo for some thirty years. As a result the brotherhood was able to schedule only one convention here this year. But their decision was made
    a year ago. And it was reported to me that some motels actually raised rates to the brothers giving no thought to possible consequences. Then last fall
    the economy started to crumble and travel diminished. Empty rooms generate no income. Add to that the fact that the reduced number of conventions
    (reduced from a high of four conventions to only one this year) resulted in fewer meals being served at local restaurants, fewer items purchased at
    grocery stores and department stores (even Wal Mart) which fact results in fewer tax dollars coming into the city when revenues are already down.

The City of Amarillo wanting to be assured that we were not planning on leaving Amarillo sent a three man delegation of business men to Bethel to
    plead the case of Amarillo . Anyway, the brotherhood welcomed them and gave them a tour of Paterson and Brooklyn . This tour and the brotherhood's
    obvious professional way of doing business so impressed these men that they made this comment as reported in a letter from the governing body to us here
    in Amarillo and partially read at our convention, this point."We feel you people should be placed in charge of the US government and in six months you
    would have the problems, including the economy fixed."
    The entire 5000 plus audience were very happy to hear this assessment of our organization and our work. And that comment from the Chamber of Commerce and the city may open a few hearts to Jehovah.

Just as I was about to post this the local news ( KFDA channel 10) reported the dollars spent in Amarillo by conventioneers this weekend at more than two
    million.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I'm sorry about the format. I was trying to make it better, but it got worse

Hello Dear friends,

Here is a tidbit from our convention here in Amarillo . This is NOT a
    spoiler. The item was included in our closing talk and related to the entire
    brotherhood in the US branch.

It seems the motel association here in Amarillo decided to cease giving any
    breaks to our brothers coming to the annual convention which has been held
    here in Amarillo for some thirty years. As a result the brotherhood was able
    to schedule only one convention here this year. But their decision was made
    a year ago. And it was reported to me that some motels actually raised rates
    to the brothers giving no thought to possible consequences. Then last fall
    the economy started to crumble and travel diminished. Empty rooms generate
    no income. Add to that the fact that the reduced number of conventions
    (reduced from a high of four conventions to only one this year) resulted in
    fewer meals being served at local restaurants, fewer items purchased at
    grocery stores and department stores (even Wal Mart) which fact results in
    fewer tax dollars coming into the city when revenues are already down.

The City of Amarillo wanting to be assured that we were not planning on
    leaving Amarillo sent a three man delegation of business men to Bethel to
    plead the case of Amarillo . Anyway, the brotherhood welcomed them and gave
    them a tour of Paterson and Brooklyn . This tour and the brotherhood's
    obvious professional way of doing business so impressed these men that they
    made this comment as reported in a letter from the governing body to us here
    in Amarillo and partially read at our convention, this point. "We feel you
    people should be placed in charge of the US government and in six months you
    The entire 5000 plus audience were very happy to hear this assessment of our
    organization and our work. And that comment from the Chamber of Commerce and
    the city may open a few hearts to Jehovah.

Just as I was about to post this the local news ( KFDA channel 10) reported
    the dollars spent in Amarillo by conventioneers this weekend at more than two
    million.

• Gayle
    Gayle

ugh,, of course, if the GB ran the U.S. gov and cities,,they would make everyone work for free,,pay into the gov, and the citizens would have to expect nothing in return. The GB would continue to show their domain and properties and other impressions at top notch maintenance, all done for free and maintained. No services for the poor,,no uptraining or colleges for the youth. None of the citizens would be able to voice any opinion nor could vote. etc etc etc

• blondie
  • GOrwell
    GOrwell

So much for Psa 146:3 : "Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs."

Or Jer 10:23 : "I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

• moshe
    moshe
    "We feel you people should be placed in charge of the US government and in six months you

Meaning, the JWs would cancel all charity services, and old age/medical benefits, Because, Jehovah's Kingdom is the answer to the problems of society- and that would sure save a the government a lot of money-- the budget is balanced!

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

If GB run USA they would put China out of business with free labor. In the name of God, all the work would be close to perfection and anyone slacking off would be taken out back and stoned to death.

I wonder if that was an actual comment by some dumb ass politician or did Bethal boys stretched the truth just a teeny bit.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The entire thing seems invented to me. [I am not suggesting that B_C invented it, but that some Jw did.] I can't imagine Amarillo sending a delegation to Bethel for such a thing. I was a part of that Amarillo 'convention scene' for several years, and believe me, the Jw tight-wads that came to town were not a gold-mine for the city.

Still, I suppose they were welcome for the dollars they spent.

We lived within walking distance of the convention site. When we had the space, we offered free room and board to other Jw families coming to the convention, thus reducing the local economic benefits.

I would call Jw conventions an aid to 'cash flow', in that rooms are occupied and paid for. But the reduced rates that Jw's seek, and the number of people they pack into rooms, is likely not highly profitable to the individual hotels/motels. Besides, if you rent 100 rooms in your facility to them, who wants 200 cheap, lying 'journals' left as 'tips' for the maid and the desk attendant? LOL

Jeff

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

What a joke. Shouldn't this be in humor?

• VM44
    VM44

"...who wants 200 cheap, lying 'journals' left as 'tips' for the maid and the desk attendant?"

This is treating the magazines as if they were some sort of "currency."

I wonder if any JW ever attempted to pay for a restaurant meal using the magazines?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit