I have other sheep, which are not of this fold

by TimothyT 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Can someone explain this scripture to me:

And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd. (John 10:16)

Id like to know what it means from a JW point of view and then the general point of view!

Thanks,

Timmy

• Essan
    Essan

For JW's "other sheep" = Christians destined to live on earth in paradise. A different hope. Not to mention "another gospel", somehow revealed to the Watchtower president 2000 years later.

For Christians and anyone with any wits "other sheep" = Gentiles who became Christians soon after Jesus death and joined with his original Jewish disciples and who together became "one flock" who all have "one hope".

it's amazing how the Society can take incredibly simple and obvious statements from Scripture and twist them into strained, contradictory and convoluted doctrine.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It indeed reffers to the Gentiles that would become Christians.

Remember that Jesus came first to HIS people, the Jews ( and those connected to them like the Samaritans), after they received the HS, it feel on the apostles to go forth to the gentiles.

The JW view is incorrect and is backed by no textual evidence.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

there was a brother in my congregation when i was a boy (has been disfellowshipped now for many years) who was one of those guys who would always meet all the beauties in the conventions. once he talked to one nice sister and he said something like, i gotta go now, ya know, i still have other sheep that i have to shepherd.

so i guess jesus referred to some chicks he knew apart from maria magdalena.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

This is another example of something so simple, yet the WT convolutes its meaning and turns it into the most absurd and retarded interpretation for selfish reasons.

• sizemik
    sizemik

lettersandnumbers . . . you forgot the "general view" to complete your post . . . feel free to use appropriate scriptural references

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

And God will wipe out every tear from their eyes."
    I think he's already done this to me. Probably to get back at me because I became an atheist. I haven't cried in years. Eyes are so dry I need those artificial tears all the time. Dry Eye Syndrome is a bitch. Some prophesy. Kidding aside it's an interesting question, and the reason I visited this thread. How otherwise intelligent men can become so obsessed with interpreting something so artificial as the passages in the Bible eludes me, but then again I don't believe it is the Word of God. The power this little book has is extraordinary. It is almost like an idol. Get people to accept that it is the Holy Word of God and then get them to understand it the way you want them to understand it and next thing you know you have absolute power over them. Even when they escape the reality you built for them they will hold onto a belief in the Bible. At least until they decide it's a work of ancient fiction.

Good question, though. It helps me understand what a Jehovah's Witness understands and that might help me free him (or her) from the cult that has enslaved him.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It always boggles the mind the way the WT takes passages out of context and puts their own spin on them.

It truly is something to behold.

One wonders if they truly believe this stuff or if they are just so corrupt, they don't care.

• Essan
    Essan

Hmm, numbersandletters (I much prefer that )

You said the two groups ("little flock" and "other sheep") became one group...yet you then continued to speak of them as two groups, using different names, describing their supposed differences, which would mean they're not one flock. They're either one flock or they're not. You can't have it both ways. A flock is a group. They are one group, one flock, one shepherd, one faith, one hope, one baptism. Simple. Get it?

One.

That is, not two.

One. The same.

• St George of England
    St George of England

The idea that the 'other sheep' and the 'great crowd' are the same was dreamed up by Rutherford in 1935. The WT's of August 1 & 15 1935 dealt with it.

jvchap.12p.170TheGreatCrowdtoLiveinHeaven?OronEarth?***

At that time it was seen that the great crowd of Revelation 7:9, 10 are included among the "other sheep" to which Jesus referred (John 10:16); they are the ones that come to the aid of Christ’s "brothers" (Matt. 25:33-40); they are the people marked for survival because they are appalled at the disgusting things done in Christendom and shun these (Ezek. 9:4); they are like Jehonadab, who openly identified himself with Jehovah’s anointed servant in carrying out that one’s God-given commission (2 Ki. 10:15, 16). Jehovah’s Witnesses understand that these are loyal servants of God who will survive Armageddon with the prospect of living forever on an earth restored to the condition of Paradise.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit