They'll Never Get It

by cherrypye 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

After listening to my family members go on and on about the new light regarding the generation, coming home from the convention all ramped out because "the end is so close you can feel it, it's just around the corner", I finally realized it.

They'll never see it for what it is. Even if the organization goes down, they'll sink with that ship.

There is not a rational person that could swallow the new generation overlap teaching and really believe it. I had always thought that there must be doubt somewhere, deep in the back of their mind, that they push down whenever they feel it bubbling to the surface.

But there isn't. And that's heartbreaking.

• watson
    watson

Their hearts have been "conditioned".

• cantleave
    cantleave

I think the majority would drink the Koolaid if instructed......

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I have family in and yes, I've pretty much left the JWs behind, myself. I've only played the depression card with them as I think it's useless to try and discuss issues of doctrine with them. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that they'll probably never have doubts strong enough to convince them to question things in the slightest... *sigh*

V665V665

• sizemik
    sizemik

The Armageddon habit is a hard one to break . . . especially when it's being mainlined through a drip.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

CherryPye: Have you read Steve Hassan's first book, 'Combatting Cult Mind Contro'? If not, please do so.

• cherrypye
    cherrypye

I've not read it, but when I read excerpts or recommendations from it that are posted here, it always piques my interest. I think I'll put it on my summer reading list!

Honestly, there is no reasoning with them, so I don't even try. It just makes me sad that otherwise intelligent folks can be so unable to see the truth.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

One thing you'll learn from Hassan: NEVER discuss doctrine. Your goal is to empower them to think for themselves. Your only two tools are love and patience. However, Step 1 is getting them to understand/recognize (Irrational) Fears and Phobias. So long as they fear dying at Armageddon for being disloyal, a discussion of the facts/evidence/reality/doctrine is pointless.

If you do read the book, I don't think you'll regret it, and I certainly think you'll gain a better understanding of how JWs (and members of other high-control) groups think.

• trevor
    trevor

People believe what they want to. They gravitate towards comfort. They want to have their ears tickled.

They want to be loved, needed and provided with a hope for the future, even after they die.

Religion can provide all this – they think!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't call them "Jehovah's WitLesses" (note the "l") for nothing. Anything that conflicts with the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is dismissed. They are even programmed that if a doctrine is wrong, even if they can prove it wrong using their own Bible, they are required to abide by and teach the bad doctrine until the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger itself fixes (or messes it up even worse) it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit