What's Your Objection?

by 1975 64 Replies latest social humour

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Some folks are emotional vampires.

I thought I was the only one who said that!!! There's a couple folks in my congregation that I call emotional vampires. One I was getting ready to a thread on as I worked with her in field service over the weekend, and that exhausted me.

As far as the forum is concerned, I think some people don't see themselves as being negative, or toxic, but rather see themselves as handing out tough love. I don't get offended easy, and I've offended plenty of people here on this forum. However, occasionally a couple posters whom I used to be fond of have said some things that have irritated me to the point of calling them out, but what does that accomplish? Nothing. Another thing is, to me anyways, is to remember this is a message board. That's all it is, take it for all the good and bad, and even insignificance its worth. I didn't really care for Besty's view of people on this board as the "anonymous peanut gallery", but there is some truth in those words. Like Jay-Z said when it comes to people with negative views of him, "Fine, it costs you nothing, pay me no mind." That's the way you have to view any detractors on here. I always liked what I heard an inmate say too, "If it aint worth killin over, it aint worth arguing over." That's the truth, its senseless to let a message board get to you.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

What source of encouragement is there when one breaks down the story of others?

By the way who said this open discussion forum is solely about obtaining personal encouragement ?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    When I come to this forum and read the topics of the day, it disturbs me that some always have objections and comments that are negative. What source of encouragement is there when one breaks down the story of others?

You do realize that most of the "negativity" you talk about comes from refuting very simple barking-mad JW apology posters. There are also posters here promoting a set date for the end of the world, and evangalistas that have begun to think they are the messiah -

(and that is not even to begin to mention that there is a full spectrum of political opinion here - all the way from Marxism to the John Birch Society)

The forum would dissolve into insanity if open discussion of ideas - and sometimes heated discussion of ideas - was not done here and encouraged here.

Perhaps you should restart this thread with one encouraging polite discussion, rather than one discouraging free speech.

• talesin
    talesin

I think you make a valid point. You are talking about folks who make comments that are just plain useless, except to cause others pain (if I am reading you correctly).

In RL, if someone is crying and visibly upset, people will comfort them.

If another person comes in the room, and says "Buck up, you stupid baby, grow a pair!",,, that person would be called to task for their insensitivity, and told to STFU.

This is not RL. As NRFG said,,,, it's a discussion board. I have seen some amazingly insensitive things said here, and it's just sloughed off, oh, that one is always lilke that,, or (s)he is always sarcastic.

It's the internet --- and you can't choose your associates online...

If something really bothers you, then by all means call that person out on the thread. It can be done if someone is really being an asswipe, but you have to be oh so careful not to lower yourself to the same level.

As for Leaving and TrueOne, Why such a hate-on for this poster? have I missed something? SHEESH!!! It was an honest question as I read it.

t

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I think it's too easy both online and off to perceive a disagreement or critism as "negative" or as being a personal attack. I suspect that with the exception of a few posters, that is rarely the intent.

We certainly can't expect everyone else to always agree with our every religious, political, and personal opinions and stories... what would be the purpose of such a forum? You rarely learn anything from those who agree with you.

- Lime

• talesin
    talesin

You rarely learn anything from those who agree with you.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!

(just kidding ahahaha - gotcha!)

t

leavingwt, do you think I don't have wounds? I have serious deep wounds. I disagree about you saying that "Inside the KH, we were encouraged to only say positive things." In my years in the witness program I never heard of such a thing. What do we do with our wounds? We treat them! How, by being encouraging and helpful to others and ourselves, we need such healing, if not, this wound will never heal. We need to move on in life. The question is, do we want to move on in life? Hey kid, it's our choice.

I have a fleshly older brother (not a witness) and when we visit our aging mother (95) in an elders lodge, she has the same old habit of telling him/us what to do and he's 74! When he visits my mother, he comes out of the elders lodge more depressed than when he came in. His face turns red and he's upset! This mother of ours is a witness! Encouragement? No, ALWAYS criticism. She's been on the witness program for over 60 years! My fleshly brothers were never witnesses and they can't understand her behaviour.

thetrueone ask me to elaborate. Just read the posts.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

As for Leaving and TrueOne, Why such a hate-on for this poster?

I wouldn't call it a Hate-on at all, I'm just trying to figure out where his mind is at, which to most reading this thread appears to be confusing

to say the least.

OK 1975 if this was your own discussion forum how would you design and control it to suit yourself and meet your personal needs ?

Sorry to hear of your overpowering and controlling mother, this comes to no surprise since JWs are extremely arrogant

and self righteous and are stridently judgmental toward others, part of the reason I left them.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

What is an elders lodge? Is it a nursing home or something to do with jw elders?

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

I come here, and make my points.

You view them however you want to.

JDW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit