Why are Pantsuits not appropriate according to The Watchtower?

by VM44 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notformeandmyhousehold
    notformeandmyhousehold

Whenever I want to be sure that I'm looking very conservative, I wear dressy pants. When I want to look sexy, I wear a skirt or dress.

Skirts are much more revealing than pants...but, you know, this is a crazy cult so whatever they say makes sense makes sense (unless you actually think about it).

• shepherd
    shepherd

The Bible refers to dressing modestly, period. Anything else is made up by the pharisses JW's call elders.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I practiced law on Wall St. for a large law firm. No pants or pants suit. Recently, I spoke with a pharma rep saleswoman. They can wear pantsuits in the field but must wear skirts for corporate meetings inside. When I attend continuing legal ed courses in a large city, most of the women wear skirt suits. Pant suits are very rare. I lived in Manhattan for 40 years. Never did I see many pantsuits in corporate centers. Never.

My roommate moved to Kansas City, Mo. She came in tailored wool pants on the day of a massive snow blizzard. She was one of the few to show up. Her attire was criticized.

I think lawyers who are self-employed or work in small firms are better able to choose their attire. Frankly, I miss all those three piece wardrobe outfits.

On the other note, I don't know where I've gone that a dress code exists. Bethel assumes we are sllimy pigs, never combing our hair, dressing like sluts, never bathing. It blows my mind. My father and uncle were long-term Bethelites back when the family was small. Who are they? I've never seen a well-dressed JW. Ever. Maybe I did see one but I knew in my bones, he could not be a JW.

As I said before, they leap out at you on the subway. Other people, such as the mentally ill, dress strangely, too. I don't think it is their wardrobe that makes them look nerdy. They aren't Esquire but.... They tend to travel in packs and few grown men go around NYC in groups.

My present church would never tell anyone how to dress. Someone might be excluded. Indeed, when homelessness was so acute, churches, like St. Paul's Chapel, turned some of their pews into beds. The stench was bad. It wasn't exactly what anyone was raised to think of church proper. The imperative was that they be fed and housed as Jesus expressly commanded. They were more welcome than I was. And rightly so.

The WT is so bourgeois. I can just see Jesus imposing a dress requirement. And what if someone dressed improperly according to the their standards. They could manage to live. A church should embrace all just as Jesus embraced all.

I was born-in. It amazes me that anyone converts with their silly rules. Some day they might join the world.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Hillary Clinton would have never cut it as a JW.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VM44:

The religion has serious issues, so anything would be seen as "usurping" men's authority. It is ludicrous really. Women who wear pantsuits certainly look dignified and more modest than somebody wearing a skirt if you want to be technical, because they are MORE covered. And, certainly, pants would be necessary if somebody is living in a frigid northern climate.

I worked in a place years ago where a young lady of Cuban descent always wore pants. Somebody told me that her husband made her wear them because he didn't want anybody looking at her legs! So, THERE. I have seen Indian women wearing what look like pants or leggings of some sort with a tunic top. Nothing wrong with leg covering if somebody wants to wear it. As long as it isn't imposed on anybody.

I personally don't like pantsuits because I feel they look better on a taller woman and I feel it is too much clothing for indoors, so I prefer dresses at work. The JW religion wants to promote what it sees as a "business-like" look to the world but this is a deception because the religion doesn't even believe in "worldly" careers. Too bad all those unsuspecting people at the doors don't know this.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

it's like guys having their hair longer than maybe 4cm. they might be mistaken for a girl and be raped (yeah, someone gave me that "reason" once).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The mere idea of Hillary convenrting gives me chuckles. I studied with Margaret Mead. She is the archetype of a woman who would fry their brains.

I'm thinking of the antifeminist, Phyllis Schafly. The Witnesses could not even convert the right wing, conservative women. Most people avoid cults.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Strange, I work in a corporate setting, and all the female big wigs wear pant suits often enough. The head of the company I work for is a woman, and I don't recall ever seeing her in a skirt. She's probably one of the most powerful people in this city. There's also multiple professional men that I see here who have neatly trimmed beards including a couple who work for a law firm several floors down from my floor.

To me the whole WT being anti-pants on women is a reflection of the sheltered atmosphere that seems to be prevalent in Bethel. These are the same men who would suffer an anxiety attack if they would ever have to cook for themselves and wash their own clothes. The same men who think a college education automatically means a person has ambitions on being rich and the Beatniks and Black Panthers are still raging against the machine right on campus, and the bra burners are getting ready to declare civil war over their right to menstruate in public. I wouldn't be surprised if a vote was done by the Governing Body about whether or not Sam Herd and JR Brown have tails and the vote barely getting a 2/3 majority.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

None of the women in Jesus' or Moses' day wore pantsuits!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Pants are pagan!

Jesus and Moses never wore pants! Paul never wore pants! Trousers are just Satan's way of rubbing your crotch!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit