Saturday Morning Musings ...

by snowbird 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

I can relate with what Walt Whitman said about the taking notes and such..I was totally into it growing up, it was exciting for me to go to conventions and see a vast sea of others who I felt were like me. It felt like this had to be the truth..just look at all the people, and to think, this is happening all around the world, and in many different languages..wow..what a united brotherhood! I totally bought into the whole experience. Helped make the sandwiches "with love", I gave a few assembly experiences later on, totally and completely into it.

The few assemblies I took my little ones to were very different. I now had the responsibility of caring for them, so the reality of how difficult a thing the "Brothers" were asking of us sunk in. I remembere asking myself how they could expect this of us all. I would look around to see the expressions on others faces...and sure enough, many looked tired, bored, figity, overall frustrated. I dont know how my parents managed all those years. They sure were 'faithful' sad to say

...wow it's a trip remembering all that

• tec
    tec

Never went to a convention, even though it would be easy for me to go. They're always here in the city, 30 minutes away, or less, from where I work. My invite is in the mail, but we are on the do not call list now... last time they came to the door, I wasn't home, and they woke the hubby up, who works nights. They promised him that our address was now on their do not call list, and that they would not come again.

Peace,

Tammy

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm enjoying all the experiences so much.

LOL @ Crazy Cate's spell coming on.

Walt, you were like my little JW daughter of today.

She's a hopeless nerd.

Tal, you're a mess.

Miz, I feel for you - I really do.

Bungi and Empty, I simply can't go anymore, either.

The very thought of going, makes me want to vomit.

Syl

• tec
    tec

Never went to a convention, even though it would be easy for me to go. They're always here in the city, 30 minutes away, or less, from where I work. My invite is in the mail, but we are on the do not call list now... last time they came to the door, I wasn't home, and they woke the hubby up, who works nights. They promised him that our address was now on their do not call list, and that they would not come again.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Stupid Internet!

• snowbird
    snowbird

FFF, I felt that way a first, but the thrill was soon gone.

Tammy, you aren't missing a thing.

Syl

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

aaaahh!!!! waking up at 5:30 am to help make sandwiches, wrap bagels and cream cheese, and stirr stinkly pasta salad in an assembly line (with no coffee) for a few hours....then walking like a zombie to line up at the door at 8:30 and mad dash to find our favorite seat (blue section, bottom row-more leg room), and veg out until music started at 9:40, try to stay awake and take notes....and that is just one morning of a three day dessent into hell- (yes some years with no air cond. at the silverdome it felt exactly like hell should feel)

I did always look forward to the drama though- mom would let me eat candy through it and I didn't have to take notes

fast forward to the last convo I attended....was a blurr, I was mentally checked out, and spent the whole time texting to my "worldly" friends...lol- everyone sitting around me thought I was texting my JW friend who was doing parking lot duty- I did any volunteer stuff I could to get out of sitting in that convention hall

so glad to miss my 2nd convo :) thanks for the walk down memory lane

CHG

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Some of the old timers here might remember this ASSembly but it was either 1967 or 1968 NYC was assigned to attend in Wash DC at the stadium. For all 3 or 4 days the bathrooms were out of service !!!! Good thing I was kid then, made know dif to me, but all those mothers with kids, and women on their cycle and so forth . . . but yet they all came together and said the usual "usual what a blessing from Jah we made it four days without using a toilet". . ! ! !

I don't even think the Borg themselves would alllow such a thing these days, unless the sewer system breaks down while the convention is in progress. The bros sis. aren't as "loving" as they used to be !!

• lilypadaz
    lilypadaz

• snowbird
    snowbird

You got that right, Shirley.

I believe it would be a riot if that happened today.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit