• snowbird
    snowbird

Quendi!

I thought you were a female!

Bek, you were a bad girl.

Syl

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

A least providing the food made it tolerable.

When they took it away, it was all over.

What was the rationale? That brothers in other countries had to bring their own food, or somthing like that?

So, instead of providing food for THOSE brothers, they told us "bring your own food!".

JDW

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeah, the food was good - smothered chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, salads, cantaloupe, watermelon, ice cream ...

Somebody knew how to rattle those pots and pans!

Syl

• talesin
    talesin

B -- Sistah! I could have wrote that comment! True true!

But I also LOVED working in the kitchen --- food service was everything! :D Can't even imagine what it was like after they took that away.

t

• crazycate
    crazycate

Making sandwiches in a hotel room. Cracking eggs on the side of a dresser and washing the dishes in the small bathroom sink. Bleah. Sitting in the bleachers because we refused to join the throng racing for seats when the doors were opened. Aching back, aching feet. Bored, crying children. Bored, trying not to cry me. Having to get up extra early on Sunday to do the usual plus pack and check out so we could drive home directly after the last session. Have to stop remembering now...I feel one of my spells coming on.

• talesin
    talesin

cc,,, you just flashed me back to Yankee Stadium, sitting in the bleachers in the searing sun --- it was soooo hot and I was such a little kid. yah, bleah...

deep breaths --- pleasant thoughts ,,, it's over now (hug)

tal

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Awesome thread Syl!! Every year my father gets grumpy during the week of the convention, and every year he threatens to my mother that he's not going this year. Don't get me wrong, he's still a believer, but he sees how senseless these conventions are. Couple years ago the convention was in a location that didn't warrent me having to stay in a hotel far out of town. It was roughly an hour away, so every morning I drove to the convention and helped out with parking. The only reason I did that was to show face so people wouldn't say at the next meeting, "Miz, I didn't see you there." After I got done with parking in the morning, I jumped back in the car and headed home. I did that Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and I have to say that was the best convention ever!!!

The thought of going to the convention this year has me irritated. My brother and sister are both married, and my parents are getting up in years, so with me being single and relatively young, the transporting of my parents, grandmother, and aunt, falls upon me. My father is very opinionated, and my mother is very pious as is my grandmother, and my aunt is about as bright as an unpainted toenail. Those two hours of driving and hearing their conversations is enough to make a man lose his mind. Add that onto being roughly $300-$400 broker by Sunday evening all over a glorified publication release party, doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. The one good thing is the hotel that we're all staying at is right across the street from the convention. A brother called me to see if I was available for attendant privileges, and I told him no. I usually like to stay busy at the convention, whether it be lost & found, the bookroom, cleaning, ya know anything to keep me from having to sit there and listen to the same talks, demos, interviews, soliloquies, dramas, and all the same crap we hear every year, year after year. It's like Deja-Vu, or Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. This year, so far, I have no privileges, although its early yet, and I always manage to feel guilty enough to find something to help out with there. My goal this year was to hoard as much Xanax as I possibly could and show my face in the morning, and then walk back to the hotel and party by myself.

• Walt Whitman
    Walt Whitman

All in all, I rather enjoyed the assemblies as a kid. It was the family vacation. Also, for most of my grammar and middle school years I was the only witness in my classroom. Had to stand up and not say the words to the pledge of allegiance all alone. Yes, there were other witness kids at my school, same grade, but they were always placed in other classrooms. So, at an assembly you suddenly you had all these kids from other congregations. It was fun to socialize between sessions with the other nerds.

I also tended to be studious. Took copious notes. Always tried to pick out the most salient point(s) in talks. Kept my assembly notes in distinct notebooks; included the assembly program; and if I could find it -- any articles about the assembly in the local newspaper. Yes, Walt was a boring kid. Walt had no social life except meetings and field service.

But then I grew up, got married, and the 1980s came. Then the WTS became suspicious, distrusting and paranoid about anything or anyone who was different. Individual inquiry beyond WTS texts became verboten. The '80s were really the beginning of the end for me as a JW.

Being the good Stepford christian I understood it was required I go to assemblies. Then there were too many questions and observations about how the WTS had morphed into this giant, cold-blooded machine -- and one that had no heart. My wife stopped going to assemblies before I did. So for a few years I went alone.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The first DC that I attended in 1971 was a bit of a novelty for me, so I had little trouble in kidding myself that it was "good."

Likewise for the "Divine Victory" International Assembly in 1973 - very memorable for me, as it was there that I fell in love for the first time!

After that, though, I became very much like Sizmik, and could never understand all the pre-assembly hype. I always particularly felt for the small children of JW families, and thought that the assemblies were just one more piece of evidence that Jehovahs Witnesses are not a family friendly religion.

Bill.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I was just thinking how miserable the conventions make me. I always found a ride with someone who was driving back and forth,even though,the convention is two and half hours away. I can't stay at hotels.

But,one year it was closer and my hall got a bus. I went on the bus and that was my last convention. They went back to the city that is a couple of hours away from me though.

But,I just can't endure it anymore. I let people believe I'm going a different week. But,I really don't care anymore what anyone thinks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit