Saturday Morning Musings ...

by snowbird 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

One hot, hot Thursday, in July of 1987, I worked a half day, drove from Wilcox County to Mobile County to pick up a sister, then hit I-10 for New Orleans to attend the convention which began the next day.

The evening traffic was unbelievable; when I finally arrived and pulled into our hotel parking lot, I was shaking like a leaf in the wind. We checked in, and after showering, I fell into bed and slept like a drunk person.

The next morning, Friday, was a complete blur as we made our way to the Superdome. I don't remember anything that was discussed that day, just the searing heat as we returned to the hotel.

After a long shower, I again fell into a deep slumber. I remember my then-13-year-old daughter asking if she could go to the pool. I mumbled out something and continued to sleep. I'm just glad she had the good sense to stay safe and return at a reasonable hour.

We repeated the same routine for Saturday and Sunday, except on Sunday, we checked out early and headed straight for home after the convention.

I was not "spiritually refreshed" by attending this convention. All I remember is the tiredness, the heat, and the thought of the long drive back home.

Thanks for reading.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Something else comes to mind.

An ice cream vendor used to park outside our convention center and make a killing those four, then three, assembly days.

Well, don't you know a stop was quickly put to that!

I distinctly remember the puzzled look on the vendor's face when no one showed up but a few who either didn't know or didn't care about the no-buying-of-ice-cream edict.

*sighing and shaking head at the control we allowed the organization to have over us*

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I know, it was crazy, eh?

I don't remember much from the assemblies, except "go pioneering, don't go to college, don't have babies, don't even think of having worldly friends".

Oh, and the sunburn, oh, the sunburn.

• stillin
    stillin

Hi, Syl,

Ditto that. The long drive, the CHORE of it all...The circuit assembly hall that was built is about a 3 hour drive and I worked on the project, then heaved a sigh of relief when it was done. But it's getting expensive, between the cost of gas and the hotel overnights.

The requests for pledges have begun again now, because the leadership has decreed that yet another assembly hall is needed and the drive will be even further than the present one is!

I will be accompanying my wife to the district assembly soon. I take notes to save myself the embarrassment of falling asleep during sessions, but that doesn't always work either. It's just plain exhausting. Then to hear somebody say, "this has got to be the best assembly EVER!" just makes my head spin. Who ARE these people?

• sizemik
    sizemik

Syl . . .

My convention experiences match your description so well it's depressing. Somehow the antcipation generated prior was never matched by the empty wasted feeling that followed.

Cheer up Syl . . . you don't have to remember the forgettable.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, all.

I just think about all that wasted time, energy, and resources and want to weep.

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    I just think about all that wasted time, energy, and resources and want to weep.

There's no good in weeping over the past. What's done is done, all we can do is learn from our mistakes and resolve never to make them again.

At the time we thought we were doing the right thing. Now we know different and we are now richer in other ways.

• snowbird
    snowbird

So true, BP.

So true.

*straightens up, wipes away tears, and heads out to mop carport*

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    *straightens up, wipes away tears, and heads out to mop carport*

*bakes some non-fat apple muffins and puts on a fresh pot of coffee/tea for when Snowbird returns*

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ummm ... that sounds good.

Tea, please.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit