June Service Meeting part: Marriage, separation and divorce

by Quarterback 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks, for your posts, friends

Does any one know if this is also considered in Europe as well?

• sir82
    sir82
    Let's just keep doing what we're doing and hope it gets better.

That's been the WTS mission statement for the past 70 years.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is what happens when you don't let people "test drive" a marriage before finalizing it. Most of these problems could be reduced or eliminated, or weeded out before they become whoppers, if people who are seriously looking at marriage were encouraged to have sex before their marriage. If things don't work out because they are incompatible, they could call off the whole thing and that would be the end of it before major complications occur. Additionally, if they allowed marriage outside the religion, there would be far less pressure to pick someone because they are there. In turn, that would allow more time to see if they are otherwise compatible.

The other factor is stagnation. This is what happens when they spend all their time together in field circus. They are not supposed to be intimate while at the Kingdumb Hell or out in field circus, and they are supposed to spend most of their time there. Lack of money because they are supposed to work crap jobs and/or give it all to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund adds to the stress.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I fell under the "under 21, get married fast to the first guy that likes you" group. I was also in the group that fell under, " oh shit that was stupid, now I am married to an abusive jerk, after a couple years of doing it god's way and not working, I think I will do this MY way" group.

I was 20 when I got married and at the time that was almost old. I think I know of only one person I was friends with whose marriage is still together. Everyone else got married at 18, had a kid, broke up and now living in their parents house with their kid.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The putting away of the old wife, getting DFd or DA to marry the new one, come back all repentant and humble, work like a fireball, reach out and get appointed as MS, then elder.

Several 2nd time elders serving in this area, with new wife at their side.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

While some marriages between JW adults may be happy ones, I'm here to say I think most of them are mediocre to miserable.

The governing body encourages impossible standards for both spouses, which leads to bitter disappointment. And let's face it, headship is a miserable thing for women and children.

There are few people to choose from looking for a spouse. When you find a person to date, you are often pressured to marry that person. So witnesses, especially women, end up marrying far less than optimum mates.

When some stop going to meetings, it becomes glaringly clear how poor the motives were behind marrying a fellow jw in the first place. Been there: done that.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I see myself as EXTREMELY lucky to have married my BEST FRIEND. And I did so despite INTENSE pressure from the elders not to do so! Without going into details, the elders felt that this was a poor choice and made sure to ask me all sorts of uncomfortable and invasive questions about our (by their standards) 'lengthy courtship' ('How physically intimate have you been? Have you ever done this, have you ever done that?') during multiple shepherding calls...
    Today our marriage is the ENVY of our cong.!
    In the meantime, the divorce rate of couples in the hall over the past decade is at least 60%, not including those who have cheated on their mates and remained married. No wonder they've scheduled this part on the service mtg.

On the other hand, I think it's just filler to keep everyone busy studying and not thinking.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Good for you Breakfast of Champions....I like it, when someone proves authority that they were wrong. That's the Rebel in me

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Kinda flies in the face of their claims to have a better record than everbody else...

oz

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

In Europe too, and based on the Organized book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit