June Service Meeting part: Marriage, separation and divorce

by Quarterback 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shadow
    shadow

our speaker said better to go to elders for counseling than worldly therapists

his own idea or part of material?

• St George of England
    St George of England
    his own idea or part of material?

Nothing in the material (om book) about this. He must have added it himself.

What makes him think a window cleaner or janitor (with all respect to those of said professions) has any qualifications to counsel on marital matters?

George

P.S. Happily married over 40 years probably due to ignoring anything and everything written on the subject by the WTS and never involving anyone else in our marriage.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Happily married over 40 years probably due to ignoring anything and everything written on the subject by the WTS and never involving anyone else in our marriage.

Congratulations to you and Mrs St George!!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

My wife and I first met at a Circuit Assembly when we were both teens. Almost three years later, when I was 20 and my wife was a few weeks from her 19th birthday, we got married.

Last month we celebrated our Silver Wedding anniversary. That's not to take anything away from previous comments, I'm just happy we're one of the few exceptions .

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Quarterback, this part was also considered in the German congregations. I found it extremely boring. But then again, the midweek meetings are boring by nature. My best guess, it is becoming a big problem that married JW divorce and remarry without having the correct "Scriptural Grounds". Quite a big part of the new elders book focused on this problem too.

Hoffnung

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Sometimes there are other references that the elders are told to use that aren't included in the KM's description of what the rank and file should study. It is certainly BorgView that the elders should be sought first before any "worldly" therapy is pursued. Marriage counselors and therapists are lumped in with astrologers and psychics in the Watchtower:

Those SayingThat“GoodIsBadandBadIsGood”

8 Things are not very different today. In practically every field of human endeavor, there are experts galore. Marriage and family counselors, columnists, self-styled therapists, astrologers, psychics, and others are ready to offer advice—for a fee. But what kind of advice is being offered? Often, Bible standards on morality are put aside to make room for the so-called new morality. For example, in speaking about the government’s refusal to register “same-sex marriages,” an editorial in Canada’s mainstream newspaper TheGlobeandMail declares: “In the year 2000, it is grotesque that a loving and committed couple should be denied their fondest wish because they happen to be of the same sex.” The trend today is to be tolerant, not judgmental. Everything is considered relative; there is no longer any absolute in right and wrong.—Psalm 10:3, 4.

Watchtower – 8/1/01 “Can You “Distinguish Both Right and Wrong?”

The Borg hasn't changed their tune about counseling or about separation and divorce. The fact that it is seen as a "problem" in the congregations rather than the solution to PROBLEM MARRIAGES shows the mindset coming out of Brooklyn.

3 In the modern world, when some couples encounter problems, their first reaction is to end the marriage. In many lands, divorce rates are spiraling out of control. However, true Christians handle problems rather than run from them. Why? Because they view marriage as a sacred gift from Jehovah. Jesus said regarding married couples: “What God has yoked together let no man put apart.” (Matthew 19:6) Granted, living by that standard is not always easy. For instance, relatives and others—including some marriage counselors—who do not recognize Bible principles often encourage couples to separate or divorce on unscriptural grounds. But Christians know that it is far better to repair and maintain a marriage than to dissolve it hastily. Indeed, it is vital that at the outset we resolve to do things Jehovah’s way—not according to the counsel of others.—Proverbs 14:12.

~Watchtower – 5/1/07 “Do Not Put Apart What God Has Yoked Together”

And the 11/1/88 Watchtower article "When Marital Peace is Threatened" sets the rules for separation and divorce that remain in place. It's an entire article so I won't quote it here.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I boosed the statistics! Divorced my crappy Ex-husband elder! after 13 years of wedded "diss"

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is one of the selling points of the evangelical church as well; because of their close application of bible principles, and honoring the marriage vow, they have fewer divorces. I can't tell you how many sermons I've heard the statistics of the alarming divorce rate out there in the "world".

Reality has caught up, though. Barna results show that evangelicals (and I suspect Witnesses) have the same divorce rate as their secular counterparts. It makes one wonder how deeply these biblically held views are taken.

And out here in the big, bad world, divorce rates are declining. Statistics Canada speculates that couples wait longer to get married, so are making mature decisions that last.

If the WT is bringing it up, I betcha the statistics they've been glorying over have aged, and the reality isn't as pretty.

• IMHO
    IMHO

Another growing concern is the amount of brothers marrying very young sisters, some widowed no longer than six months taking up with sisters half their age.

WHY is this a 'concern'? First there is absolutely nothing wrong with an age gap - either way? Secondly the woman (or man) always has the option of saying 'get lost' or whatever.

Most people who believe that age difference is a problem have a problem with jealously. Either they are jealous that their mate is getting (or seeking) the attention of someone younger or they are jealous of someone who is with someone much younger and they have no chance to be.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Hey, thanks for your imput to this ...It's great to get a worldwide perspective on this

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit