New here

by Druid 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Druid
    Druid

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster. I will give you a summarized version of my background so as to still stay somewhat anonymous.

I was never baptised, but I grew up having most of my life stolen to the society. I went through a period in my childhood where my parents were disfellowshipped.... I wasn't allowed to hang out with witness kids during that time....because well they couldn't hang out with me cuz my parents were df'ed, and I couldn't hang out with wordly kids either cuz it was always "oh we are going to the meetings next week! (not)"

I also moved around a lot, forced to only make friends in the congregation, but due to the isolation I had in the above paragraph I had horrible social skills and failed at making any real friends. I ended up working for an elder in the cong. who owned a business, he mentored me and gave me the foundation I have today, inspired me to finish my "homeschool" and actually go to college ( I never planned to, but this business minded elder actually encouraged me to).

He had high hopes for me as his young business prodigy but being a kid I slacked off, and ended up taking a year off before college at 18 and did all kinds of naughty things. I pretty much started fading when I moved away from my parents to live with a wordly family member (my parents moved far away and I wanted to stay in the area I was going to go to college in). So I basically moved jurisdictions to a different body of elders when I moved in with the relative and never bothered to go to that cong. effectively going off the radar to most people until a former best friend checked up on me and found out I was in limbo, he refused to talk to me after that.

Ironically however, the elder that mentored me still continued to talk to me. From 18-21 I stopped going to meetings but in the back of my head I had guiltyness even though I still sinned. It wasn't until I look a logic class in college that talked about fallacies and such that I said "hey that sounds a lot like the WTBTS" then I started thinking freely and became an agnostic. I actually wrote a few college papers on theories that disproved religions such as Jehovah's Witnesses.

As time went on I told my old mentor that I wanted to have lunch with him and tell him my doubts about the society and see what he thought, he sounded sympathetic but when I met him for lunch he took another Watchtower special agent with him for backup. I immeadietly started dps'ing with my logical argument and his backup casted "fake bible shield" and started healing my mentor as he used circular logic attacks until we both ran out of mana and ended up at a stalemate.

So basically, my parents and my old mentor both know I am an apostate, but since I was never baptised my parents insist I can't technically be an apostate, and I guess they use this silly loophole to stay in contact with me, though any time I bring up my views it turns into a 5 hour phone argument. Even my former mentor, the elder, still has some common sense and has limited contact with me despite my apostate views, and even seemed ok with me living with his now disfellowshipped son (He is kicking him out of the house), which is odd because as a witness parent, especially an elder, you would think they wouldn't want their kid they want to come back to the truth hanging out with an apostate.

I think he uses the same loophole of "I was never baptised so I am just an opposed non-believer than can be witnessesd to" lol

Anyway, I have been lurking this place for a few years so a lot of you are familiar to me... I guess its like when you watch a TV show for a long time and the cast finally see you, the viewer lol

• wobble
    wobble

Welcome Druid !

your story shows that even if one is not deeply entrenched in the cult, the effects are still huge, and long lasting.

Treasure your freedom, especially your intellectual freedom.

Thanks for telling your story, I am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts !

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum, Druid.

'Tis nice tp meet another born in that never got a dunking.

Cheers

Chris

• sizemik
    sizemik

Welcome to the forum Druid . . . I found your story very interesting.

sizemik: CHCH NZ

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Hello and welcome.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome, I get bloody angry by the duplicity of the DF'ng policy. If you have never been baptised, but are vehemently apostate your JW family can still have contact with you, but if you were baptised you should be treated as poison......Duh

• Druid
    Druid

Well realistically, if you are concerned with the best interested of the org, both should be avoided and treated as poison, but if people have an emotional attachment its a loophole they can hang onto so as not to disown their friend/family member. Like I said, my old best friend (now a MS I think) ignores me like the plague, but a current elder still talks to me and even considered sending his DF'ed son to live with me, though in his defense I don't think he knows the extent of my apostasy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome.

I, too, lurked a while (7 years) before joining.

Your story is oh-so-familiar.

WT is the pits.

Syl

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Welcome Druid. I was a lurker for serveral years. Lucky you. Young and was able to figure it out. You have your whole life ahead of you. Thank you for your story. All the legal loopholes the WT cult has. That is why for most witnesses their thinking is always twisted. They are looking for the loopholes. Great to have you here. Totally ADD

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Welcome Druid!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit