Hidden program in the new WT CD alerts Bethel who has visited apostate websites!!

by moshe 57 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@AllTimeJeff:

You wrote:

Good point Mr Mustard. Part of the talent is the leadership needed to pull that off. I don't think the GB has the inclination to do it or the trust in those who would have to do it.

The GB knows it would get out, and I definitely bow to that point. But tracking down IP addresses and linking them to people is one of those "more trouble then what it's worth" scenarios. I don't think it is as simple as it sounds either. If anything

Theoretically, yes, they can do it. But they aren't set up for it, don't trust those who would do it, and would much rather DF you then track you down.

Just thought of something. Let's say WT turns on some IP logging, and they gather the IP addresses of their elders logging into wt.org. They would then throw an image here and there on JWN and do some IP matching. With these trojan pictures, they find that elder XYZ has been viewing JWN threads 1200 times a month. The CO is contacted and elder XYZ is dragged into a back room the next meeting and confronted with the evidence. Elder XYZ immediately states that it was not him, and that it must be one of his children.

CO response: Well, I'm glad to hear it is not you. However, since you don't have your family under control, and they are not all really good uber-witnesses like the Bible says an elder's family should be, we are going to "review your credentials". Later that week, he is removed until such a time as his family stops polluting themselves with apostate material - Or in other words, gets rid of their computer altogether.

In this way, all elders with even a hint apostate on them would be removed....

MeanMrMustard

• TD
    TD
    They would then throw an image here and there on JWN

And the dozen or so I.T. professionals here, (Not to mention Simon) say nothing? I'm not the most active poster here (Not by a long shot) but I'm usually behind a full blown ISA server with the GFI web monitor plugin. Detecting web beacons is not hard and I would certainly out anyone I noticed doing this.

We had a thread on this years ago, where jourles (Someone who's come and gone from JWN) demonstrated it and I posted from an unresolvable IP to show that it is easily defeated.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Any hosted image that is linked here in the body of a text message has the possibility of being a data mining "pseudo-cookie". Each time we load the content of the posts, our browser is re-directed to load the image from the other site. That request served by the picture's host site contains the ip address and a set of HTML headers that tell the hosting server a lot about your browser and the site that you are looking at.

No, Im not paranoid, I just know that an IP address does not easily identify a person. There would have to be another connection that links a real person logging into the WT.Org site then that same machine would have to load a "pseudo-cooke" link image here. Also, most of us do not have static IP addresses so our ISP refreshes the DHCP entries from time to time.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@TD:

It's not about tracing an IP address. You can always get behind a proxy server to hide your real IP address. Even if someone gets your home network's real IP address, it still doesn't reveal much information. But we aren't talking about tracing IP addresses... we are talking about using the IP to compare to another list, a list that the WT knows belongs to elders only (and up): the logins to wt.org. If the WT could easily log the IP addresses of their elders as they log in, associating the IP address with the username. If they are harvesting IP addresses via small inserted pictures (or even large funny pictures to make a joke), the smart thing isn't to try and trace an IP address to any region. Rather, its to compare it to your elder's IP list to see if you have any higher-ups interested in apostate material....

MeanMrMustard

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@darthfader:

Looks like my ISP set a least time of 12 months for my IP address.... even if it was 24 hours, the WT could match IP addresses from their wt.org list with their JWN list as long as the elder/co/do/etc. visited wt.org and JWN within the same 24 hours period...

MeanMrMustard

• still thinking
    still thinking

Maybeeee.......If they hadn't thought of doing this, and happen to be checking out this site, you have given them a fabulous idea....hee hee hee ...orrrrrrrrr....maybeeee this could be another conspiracy theory.

• TD
    TD

MMM

I understand the concept of IP correlation very well. My mentioned of an unresolvable IP was strictly in the context of jourles' original thread where he was demonstrating how a web beacon works by telling people their city of origin just for fun.

--Sorry for being unclear on that.

I mentioned ISA server because it's very very easy to configure ISA and TMG in a way where you would know when somebody is planting single pixel pictures on a discussion board. Hell, even Mozilla's web developer toolbar would reveal it.

I'm not questioning the technical validity of the idea. There's no doubt it would work. I'm questioning whether it could be done right under the nose of at least a dozen people who know exactly what to look for. --Especially on a scale where 1200 hits might be logged for a single individual.

Anything's possible I guess. I don't check every thread I post to. --But still......

• moshe
    moshe

Certainly, the WT org must have noticed how many closet apostate elders have been coming to our forum and even, giving links to download the , gasp, secret elders manual!. It would be naive to think something won't be done to hang a few of them. If you are a JW, then a separate computer needs to be employed for use on only official WT websites and usage of the WT CD's and DVDs- never use it to look at apostate websites. The computer used for apostate research must always have a different IP.

That is why I keep paying $10/mo for my AOL- anytime I want, I can have an AOL, IP location, which is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit