Something that has helped me understand why people continue to go to church

by JimmyPage 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I go regularly and take communion. To me, it's a spiritual thing, I enjoy it, I love the rituals and, finally, when I take communion, it's like I'm giving the WTBTS a big FU because I am good enough to partake. I don't need someone telling me I'm unworthy.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    People need religion or religious sentiments because they just can't phathom being alone and self determined. Its the final frontier and they aren't there yet.

Completely wrong. I think anyone that has the wherewithall to leave the cult has a great measure of independance and self-determination. You would never leave if not.

• designs
    designs

The argument is you can't get off the Religion Wagon. Giving the Finger to the Watchtower with Communion is your big spiritual Ecstacy.

I've interacted with several former JWs who now go to their new Bible Study classes and I ask can you raise a contrary question, openly oppose Christian doctrine, no they can't or won't and won't even entertain the possibility that they are duped all over again. Its Book Study II, just a different address that they Like More.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I love the church of my youth, the Episcopal Church. It's a thinking people's church and it's very spiritual. They welcome you and your diverse opinions and beliefs. They are huge on outreach. The services are meaningful as well as beautiful.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    I love the church of my youth, the Episcopal Church. It's a thinking people's church and it's very spiritual. They welcome you and your diverse opinions and beliefs. They are huge on outreach. The services are meaningful as well as beautiful.

This is the church I have chosen, Episcopal. So no, it's isn't that I've gone from one book study to the next. I think you have no idea what you are talking about, designs. And communion isn't a big spiritual ecstacy. Its the fact that I'm worthy to partake contrary to being told that I'm a nobody and am not worthy. Not all of us want nor wish to be atheists.

• designs
    designs

Can you really say and with full conviction say you believe in the power of the Eucharist and Consubstantiation, that a human blood sacrifice 2000 years opened the portal to another dimension.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    Can you really say and with full conviction say you believe in the power of the Eucharist and Consubstantiation, that a human blood sacrifice 2000 years opened the portal to another dimension.

Yes and no. But that's the beauty of Episcopal Church. You have the freedom to choose because your path to God is personal one and the Church doesn't dictate it. I do believe in Jesus. I do believe he died for our sins. I do believe in the Grace of God. The whole portal thing? No.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I go to church for community and friends. I chose a church that doesn't care that I'm atheist and allows me to speak openly about it without judgement. But I like the principals. I like people supporting each other to be the best they can be. It goes deeper than a club. And yet, they truly believe that everyone can fit under their roof. My pastor is a gay woman. Some of the people fight for abortion rights. They take a collection once a month to send to an outside local charity instead of keeping it.

They honor intellegence and creativity, music, art, writing. They are really big on higher education. I tell ya---I didn't think such a place existed. I only need to be tolerant of other's beliefs, and since they don't judge me, that makes it easy. One Sunday she opened by saying she wanted to acknowledge the atheists, agnostics, doubters and opinionated. She said they were indispensible. I was amazed. They don't offer prayers as a rule, and rarely read from the bible. They jokingly say that one of their trademarks is a big fat question mark. Question everything. Accept nothing blindly. Find you OWN way. I know it sounds weird, but it really works for me.

NC

Edited to say: Plus I can wear jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, a dress, heels--whatever. And when I miss, which is quite often, no one calls and says "we missed you at church on Sunday!" They pretty much trust each person to decide what they need.

• designs
    designs

Church of the Kumbaya is very popular these days....

'I'm worthy to partake', its that God the Big Father thing.........Ellis had some interesting takes on the phenom.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    Church of the Kumbaya is very popular these days....

You mean since 1604? That's a long "these days". Maybe your generations lap each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit