Something that has helped me understand why people continue to go to church

by JimmyPage 33 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The more I realized how ridiculous religion as a whole is the more I wondered why so many people even bother to continue going to church.

But someone on this board made a comment recently that has stuck with me- it's something that I could never relate to because I was brought up a JW. And maybe many people here have trouble relating too for the same reason.

The comment was simple: people go to church because they enjoy it. It was a new thought to me because as a JW meetings have always been such a bland and boring affair. The idea that people could actually enjoy meeting together in a religious setting is actually a fairly new thought to me- and maybe to you as well.

And you know what? Churches do a lot of humanitarian good in times of crisis. I've seen it first hand.

I'm not about to dismiss all the bad that churches are responsible for, but looking at things from this perspective- I'm gaining an understanding that I never had as a JW.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Enjoying church is a good enough reason to go there, imo. 'Course, i couldn't do it. But, that's me.

S

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My boss is very religious, and I've had trouble relating to that sometimes. But when I look at it from the perspective that maybe she has always gone to an enjoyable church, it helps me look at her in a different light. When I think of taking my kids to a place where they can be with other children and have fun hunting Easter eggs or viewing a live Christmas manger scene it warms my heart a bit- compared to forcing them to sit quietly for two hours while wearing stuffy suits and ties.

• wobble
    wobble

You are right JP, since leaving the JW's my wife and I have attended several services,of different denominations, and even though I do not believe in God, and my wife is agnostic, we have enjoyed most of them, we go mainly for the singing !!

One Methodist service that we went to was just a little bit too similar to the JDub stuff, but the singing was very good.

We went to one vibrant C of E type service, led by a charismatic trendy Vicar, that was excellent, they had a rock band to lead the music, which was fronted by an excellent girl singer, that was great.

No way does it affect the way I view God, the Bible and religion, but I can see why many enjoy going, and after all, nobody forces them to, they are not told they will lose their eternal life if they don't go, at least they are not told this in the Churches we went to.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

As ex-cult members, we are like victims of rape. We were (and some continue to be) on the receiving end of spiritual violence.

MOST religious people have never experienced this, and as such, they will never be able to fully relate to our experience.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

leavingwt: As ex-cult members, we are like victims of rape. We were (and some continue to be) on the receiving end of spiritual violence. MOST religious people have never experienced this, and as such, they will never be able to fully relate to our experience.

As someone who was never a witness I can't fully relate to what you have experienced. I understand just a bit through my mom and friends (5) that have left the witnesses. Most people have no idea what witnesses have gone through and have no idea how thankful they should be that they are free to worship the way they want; that it's between God and themselves, not an Organization and themselves.

I truly love going to church. I love the relationships, the worshipping of God. But our church is alive unlike the meetings I have experienced in the Kingdom Hall. They all look like they don't want to be there and I find it extremely sad.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I got a GREAT quote from this board a while ago and saved it cause I thought it was so meaningful to me. I do not know who said it, but its telling:

"I don't think its particularly surprising to discover that some victims of spiritual abuse are no longer interested in being preached to."

That being said, I have never sat through another religious service (except weddings and funerals). I always felt that sitting through a religious service would insult my intelligence, so I have not opened myself to that experience yet.

However I am open to new experiences and trying to find out what drives different people, so I would not say never again.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

My wife enjoys Church....

And wished I would enjoy.....Church.......

I have gone a few times for a Birthday Party for a friend after their service.....

and the Pastor Blessed My wife and me when we got married.... (I felt so dirty)

I HATE IT.... I sit and feel my life slipping away......

She still asks every once in awhile...... and I smile and say No...and please don't give God too much money.....

And our Son will ask me also........

No buddy.... God and I had a falling out years ago...he don't like me...and I don't like him..

• designs
    designs

One thing I've noticed among JWs who Get Jesus or go to another Church is that they swap one set of Theocratic Language for another and now proudly proclaim they have found the Real Jesus. Then they post a picture of this Real Jesus and he's the most Nordic looking guy you've ever seen.

People need religion or religious sentiments because they just can't phathom being alone and self determined. Its the final frontier and they aren't there yet.

• jay88
    jay88

It's like being raised by Parents that were horrible cooks,....later in life you have a revelation.

Damn,...I didn't know that food was supposed to taste good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit