The Generation(s) That Wasted Their Lives

by undercover 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am now in my mid-fifties, middle-age, but I don't regret the more than thirty years association with Jehovah's Witnesses. Yes, I did spend those years "chasing rainbows" as it were. But I also got to meet many wonderful people, some of whom became the closest friends I ever had. And even though I am now disfellowshipped and am shunned by most of my Witness friends, I still have fond memories of what we did have. I also learned many worthwhile things as a Witness as far as how to treat other people. I pioneered, and attending the Pioneer Service School has made a significant impact on my life. I also benefitted from the training I got in the Theocratic Ministry School and the Service Meeting. I learned how to become a very good public speaker (although I never gave a Public Talk during all my years in the religion), how to listen carefully to others, and how to be the kind of mentor who could have and has had a positive influence on the lives of others.

One of the biggest problems the WTS has is its refusal to let go. It started out as a group of Bible students seeking better understanding of the Scriptures. It has metamorphosed into this monster that seeks to control every aspect of a person's life. It refuses to let people grow and develop at their own individual pace. It refuses to recognize that "children" grow up, mature, and become quite capable of making their own way in the world. Unlike secular institutions that train workers or inductees so that they will be able to shoulder any responsibility placed upon them, the WTS instead tells its followers that they should never do anything without consulting it first and seeking its permission for any undertaking. It is no wonder that it is suffering a "brain drain". Creative people will leave to pursue their dreams among those who will support, not control, them.

Since leaving the religion I am making efforts to get back into public education. My years as a Witness combined with my college education (which I completed nine years ago) have equipped me for this. While I am grateful for the positive things I did get out of my time as a Witness, I cannot deny that the organization's repressive and backward way of looking at things has done great harm to many. Talent and ability have been squashed. People have been herded into meaningless and frustrating jobs because they were told that their "theocratic" activity was the most important thing to pursue. Association with those who could help a person hone skills, talents, and abilities has been actively discouraged because these people are "worldly" or "do not love Jehovah".

I think the reason the WTS has taken this tack is very simple. It is a cult; and cults want blanket control over their followers. That control is given a veneer of love and concern so that the follower won't question the reason behind the demands placed upon him or her. I can only hope that Witnesses wishing to follow their dreams will find the strength, courage, and support to do so both from within and those who truly have their best interests at heart. For clearly the WTS has no such desire.

Quendi

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

All kidding aside this is a pretty sad story. Lives lost to the Watchtower. When my father was at the end of his life in the nursing home I met and talked to a lot of old people waiting to die. They judge themselves. They look back over their 80 or 90 years and they rejoice and they regret. What they regret are the things they did that caused harm to others, even if it happened 75 years ago, and they regret the things they never did. My dad ended up in the locked wing because of dementia. I was told by the staff there that there are two basic kinds of dementia. There's organic dementia, like Alzheimer's Disease, and there's psychological dementia brought about by an inability to cope. If any of those Generations saw the truth about the Watchtower in their final years, you can bet it was absolutely devastating to them.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You make an interesting point, Nickolas. I worry about my own parents. They ask me why I've done what I have done and why I do what I am doing and I don't hide it from them. Mom has read everything I have shown her and she is in turmoil. Dad listens to me but is afraid to look at anything that may imply he should change - whether his thoughts or actions. But how could I have covered up the truth when they ask me directly and are willing to listen to me? Should I have lied to protect their feelings during their twilight years? Should I be glad they (or mom, at least) won't pass away believing a lie?

I'm thankful they don't shun me but I am still uneasy about how what they've learned is affecting and will affect them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit