The Generation(s) That Wasted Their Lives

by undercover 42 Replies latest jw friends

• jay88
    jay88

The movie cocoon didn't help (not sure if a witness was allow to watch that movie)

but wiki ends the plot of the movie saying "most of them(elderly people who have found a pool of youth created by aliens) return with the Antareans to their homeworld, where they will never grow ill, never age, and never die."

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

LOL Outlaw! LOL

• ambersun
    ambersun

How sad to see people in their twilight years still expecting some miraculous event to transform them back to what they can never be again...

I agree, it is really sad. I knew a JW who had devoted the best part of her life to the WTS and it hit her like a ton of bricks when one day she woke up in the 1980s to realise she was now an elderly widowed lady, and she was still waiting for armageddon to come. She looked me straight in the face one day and her exact words were "if armageddon does not come soon, it is going to be the biggest con of the century!"

Cognitive dissonance set in and she carried on attending meetings but a bitterness had come over her that she could not hide. The century passed and she lived long enough to see 9 years of another century. She died still waiting.

• Babyruth
    Babyruth

When my brother threw a baseball and broke our kitchen window my Dad seriously pondered weather he should replace it, because after all "the end is so near". The year was 1959

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Then they Died..

Too funny.

• undercover
    undercover
    no life is ever wasted.
    Somewhere, sometime, somehow, everyone said or did something to help or influence another.
    That, my friend, surely counts for something.

I guess that does count for something...in some small way. But if a talented, gifted person had pursued a different course in life...used their talents to inspire, teach, heal, lead or serve people on a more substantial level than just selling magazines and spreading hope of a Paradise that doesn't exist, wouldn't that have counted for much more?

A friend of mine committed suicide because he couldn't fit in the JW pattern of life. He was too talented, too gifted. He could have been a force to reckon with in his talented field. He wanted to pursue those talents but he was constantly berated for allowing outside interests to keep him from serving the bOrg. In the end it was easier to not exist than to exist under the thumb of oppressive rule.

A close family friend, JW, died this past year. Lovely woman. Nicest person you could meet. She was an inspiration to her JW family because of her smile, her tenderness, niceness, and toughness when facing cancer as it slowly killed her. At the funeral, her accomplishments were listed. Served at Bethel, served as a Pioneer, served as a loyal wife, served as a dedicated publisher. Okay, so her JW grandkids were inspired by her, but what else did she really accomplish in life? She raised a family in the "truth". Check. It can even be argued that her inspiration to her grandkids is a detriment to them. She's inspired them to remain close to Jehovah the organization...to remain in the cult...not pursuing their talents or gifts that could be better used than selling magazines.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I was watching a documentary on an integrated prom in Mississippi I want to say? Morgan Freeman offered to pay for the prom if it was integrated. I didn't finish the whole thing, but while all the racial angles were being discussed, I couldn't help but think to mysef, "at least they get to go the prom." Going to the prom, playing sports, heck even having nonJW friends I had to keep hidden my folks. Anything resemebling normalcy was not an option back then. All because of these freaks.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I hear you and I feel you.

You don't share my belief that all is going to be restored, and then some.

So, we'll leave it at that.

Syl

• Joliette
    Joliette

I was born in 1983, and some people are STILL in 'armeggdon is coming' mode. I want to tell them, that I'm about 90% sure that the world 'doesnt end.' I'll tell you when your world ends: The world 'ends' when you die. My world ends when I die. Thats when the world ends.

Now live 'this life' to the fullest, cause this is the only life that you have. No wrestling with lions. No floating with the man upstairs. This is it!!!! So cherish it!

• Joliette
    Joliette

@ no room for george....so true.

A bunch of indoctrine sexual repressed freak!

Thats why its important to reconnect with friends, family. That the realistic thing to do. Not waiting on some god that has basically turned his back on

people.

Oh, and to plan your future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit