Why are men not allowed to do the bible study parts at the service meeting?

by garbonzo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

I know why they do it, because the women would complain, but it's not logical, the men need to be trained on how to conduct a bible study with a student, also. If it doesn't matter, why are the sisters doing it? Just to give them something to do? One of you still in should ask any elder why there are those parts, they will say, "To train students on how to conduct a bible study." Then you can say, "So only sisters can conduct bible studies, now?"

Another contradiction in the WTS...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WTS is a good-old-boys club. Men run it and women are to stay in their places. They created the sit-down talks on the Theocratic Ministry School just for women, so they could give them an assignment in the meeting yet retain their silly notion that women were not teaching the congregation.

Training on how to conduct a "Bible" study (you mean a WT-literature study) can be done by simply following the example of the WT-study or in the past, the book study. The TMS is not really about training the members, it's about controlling them. They have to fill that mid-week meeting with something and talk assignments causes the members to have to reinforce the doctrine in their own personal study. Plus, it gives the congregation the chance to feel that if Sis. Jones can do it, anyone can do it.

The school was originally for guys, but they saw that the women needed such control exerted over them as well. Guys still have the bulk of the assignments, so this area is going to probably stay exclusive for the ladies.

• Dune
    Dune

I always thought that they did it because men get to do pretty much 9 out of the 10 visible parts of the meeting. This is more like throwing a bone to the sisters so they have a part.

• talesin
    talesin

@Dune --- agreed; it was the only challenging thing available to me as an intelligent, driven young gurl/womin.

t

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yup, it was to give us something to do, since the guys get to do everything.

There was nothing challenging for us to do except go door to door, which the brothers did, too, and to stay awake during meetings.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Actually, I thought that was changed within the past couple years? Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a School Overseer, but the school schedule for the year which comes with directions, I could have sworn its been changed that the #3 and #4 are up to the Overseer's direction, and also the possibility exists that the brother could end up with a part similar to the traditional #3 talk for sisters? I could be wrong as I largely don't pay attention to that. He hands me slips occasionally for the Highlights, or the #3 formerly known as the #4, or the reading? But I could have sworn its possible for brothers now to have school assignments similar if not the same as the sisters?

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

Yes, a brother or sister can do #3 talks, only sisters do #2 talks. Up to the school overseer. But if a brother does a #3 talk, it's still a talk, not a study setting.

• blondie
    blondie

The school was started to teach men how to give public talks (1943...). In 1959, 16 years later, talks by women were allowed but only to talk to another person on the stage, not the audience, they could not face the audience, whereas men had to face the audience. The only exception the WTS makes is to allow real little boys to give the talk to their daddy standing on the stage or sitting in the front row of the KH.

My aunt had sat through 9 years of not giving talks and was one of the first women to give one in 1959 in her congregation. She always maintained that it didn't matter who they "faced" the women were teaching the congregation.

• undercover
    undercover

Acts 15:20

but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.

Why is this scripture taken so literally that they expect people to die upholding an interpretation of it while...

1 Corinthians 14: 34,35

let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.

...is not taken literally even though it's much clearer about the subject than the first scripture

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

That is so ridiculous, what is that based upon, Paul's words about women not teaching? Ridiculous. I know sisters that write their husband's talks. Who's teaching then? Women do the bulk of field service, the bulk of pioneering........but don't let them fact the audience while using a microphone!!! Jehovah's gonna be mad then!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit