Why are men not allowed to do the bible study parts at the service meeting?

by garbonzo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@undercover

Most scholars do believe that Paul never actually existed as portrayed but was an amalgam of sect rules and Jewish influence. The Bible itself is just that, a collection of stories, laws and historical accounts that were mostly orally conveyed. Large parts of the gospel wasn't actually written until 100-300 years after the death of the supposed Christ and the rest of the bible books also don't have any evidence (not even a reference) that they were written when the classic canon said it did. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls are young enough to be written after the fact making all 'prophecies' bogus.

• Alfred
    Alfred

My father only reached the 9th grade as he had to drop out after his mother died to provide for his brothers... My mother wrote all of his talks...

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Reminds me of a quote from I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales of a Jehovah's Witness Upbringing about the #3 talk:

"Facing the congregation = uppity and sinful.
    Ninety degrees clockwise = making Jehovah's heart smile."

(pg. 13)

• nugget
    nugget

Give the poor sisters a break they get given number 3 talks begrudgingly they have nothing else to do at the meetings except look after the children and do a demonstration if some brother is desperate. This is an organisation that devalues and demeans women, this is not about learning to do Bible studies it is giving women the chance to participate so they can be part of the guilt control machine. The school is another task they have to do. If they fail it is something else they can feel guilty about.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Reminds me of a quote from I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales of a Jehovah's Witness Upbringing about the #3 talk:

(pg. 13)

LOL, so true. LOL Wow!! It's such a joke LOL You know its actually embarrasing when you really get down into it. LOL

• boisdunord
    boisdunord

When I was little I wanted women to be elders, I didn't understand the WBTS' bigotry even back then I guess. Now that's changed a bit, I want to see more women in politics (not like Saran Palin ).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GARBANZO: As a poster mentioned, the religion is throwing the women a bone. I, however, felt that the religion could shove it you-know-where and I dropped out because I didn't like the company of these sisters inflicted on me. It was nothing but a nuisance and stress over something I could do without.

• free @ last
    free @ last

Why do they allow the women to comment from the audience anyway? Just another form of teaching the cong. Worse yet they are teaching facing the man conducting the meeting from the platform.

180 degrees and facing the speaker = Jehovah gets all confused

f@l

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

One of the worse experiences in my life involved the awkward female role in MS. My younger brother could just give public talks. B/c of his penis and his youth, everyone was praising him. Ooh, Ooh, Ooh, a brother. I was young, about twelve. My parents would never arrange a h/holder ahead of time for me to practice. I wrote scripts. A sister who was a complete stranger flubbed her lines.

So this twelve year old girl was pulled apart and told how bad she was by the stupid servant. In the car, this girl's father was very abusive, stating how no good she was. Grades are nothing. MS is a test of character and intellect. My grandmother interceded for me. She was told she was a woman and to mind her place. Grandmother, very much a latent feminist, agreed and shut up. In fairness, my brother was sympathetic. I dreaded MS. Whenever I became very ill and suffered monster menstrual cramps so I could avoid MS, I rejoiced to the Lord.

I tried so hard with all my brain, heart, and soul. Let a brother face this situation. The Watchtower needs some liberated women willing to pay back. Educating Taliban women was our solution to terrorism. Brothers need instructing. I refer the reader to Gloria Steinem's If Men Menstruated.

Later in life, I have problems b/c I am too deferntial. Employers don't pay much for deferential workers. They want competence.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Other than during the Bible Study parts in the service meeting, I can only think of one other activity that Women must do from a seated position that men are able to do while standing up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit