New Release on Blood at AJWRB

by Lee Elder 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• pirata
    pirata

Nice. So you take plasma, remove a few "minor fractions", and voila you are left with a minor fraction. Now just transfuse the two seperately, and you are set.

If I didn't know any better I'd say the Watchtower is trying to slowly dismantle the Blood Doctrine out of existence while showing that the Biblical refusal of blood has not changed.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Lee, thanks again for your work. How are you doing?

This product can be used for persons with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura or hemolytic-uremic syndrome. I didn't realize the wts had been prohibiting their treatment all this time.

I wonder if this will be announced to the rank-and-file (silly question, I guess).

It's my understanding this product has a low safety profile. One of their big schticks all these years has been how their policies saved members from illnesses such as HIV, how wise Jehovah is, blah blah blah, and now again they are allowing a potentially infectious product.

The wts has lots of bloodguilt when it comes to bleeding disorder witnesses!

Blood on Their Hands: The Story of a Hemophiliac Child in the Jehovah's Witness Cult [Kindle Edition]

[pdf/ebook reader edition]

• sir82
    sir82
    So you take plasma, remove a few "minor fractions", and voila you are left with a minor fraction. Now just transfuse the two seperately, and you are set.

Yep, just hook up the cryoprecipitate to one arm, and the cryosupernatant to the other arm, and you're good to go!

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

All:

Apparently this latest development is sadly unremarkable since it is something we have come to expect given the source.

The work of AJWRB is to help Jehovah’s Witnesses, their dependants and other interested person to have a better opportunity to know life-saving details the Governing Body keeps to itself and/or its high-ranking representatives until an emergency arises. If its not too late by that time.

The work of AJWRB is also to help doctors cope with the frustration of patients who are at a loss and, worse, exposed to strong coercion to conform or else.

Rebel:

The standard of care would use cryo poor plasma as you say. But when a patient refuses FFP (as JWs are taught to do) then cryo poor plasma becomes an alternative for several primary and/or secondary life threatening conditions.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Cryosupernatant is the product that remains when Fresh Frozen Plasma is processed to make cryoprecipitate

Please correct me if I am wrong. According to what I read, both cyrsupernatant and cryoprecipitate are a conscience matter. So they are only condemning the outer membrane?

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Never mind. I found the answer.

km11/06p.5HowDoIViewBloodFractionsandMedicalProceduresInvolvingMyOwnBlood?

CLOTTINGFACTORS

—LESSTHAN1%OFPLASMA

There are various

proteins that help blood

to clot in order to stop ………… I accept

bleeding. Some are given blood-derived

to patients who tend to clotting factors

bleed easily. They are or

also used in medical ………… I refuse

glues to seal wounds blood-derived

and to stop bleeding clotting factors

after surgery. One

combination of clotting

factors is known as

cryoprecipitate.

Note: Some clotting

factors are now made

from nonblood source

Unbelievable

• rebel8
    rebel8

OK Lee, now it's making more sense to me (as far as wts doctrine can make sense to me, lol).

IWillBeDubbedNoMore, not sure if that article you pasted came out in the right order...but it seems to be saying cryoprecipitate was banned in 2006. I don't think I knew this....the last flip flop I was aware of permitted it....not that cryoprecipitate is really used any more AFAIK.

I was specifically not allowed to use cryoprecipitate in the 70s and 80s. It was never discussed as an option. It was, "blood is blood is blood", the "ham sandwich" analogy. It was in fact the very subject of the chest thumping about Jehovah's foresight about HIV.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Hope this better:

km11/06p.5HowDoIViewBloodFractionsandMedicalProceduresInvolvingMyOwnBlood?

CLOTTINGFACTORS

—LESSTHAN1%OFPLASMA

There are various proteins that help blood to clot in order to stop bleeding. Some are given to patients who tend to bleed easily. They are also used in medical glues to seal wounds and to stop bleeding after surgery. One combination of clotting factors is known as cryoprecipitate.

Note: Some clotting factors are now made from nonblood sources.

.On the right of this paragraph it had two choices

I accept blood-derived clotting factors

or

I refuse blood=derived clotting factors

Here is another article of the same year 2006. Last mention in the 2009 CD

As part of a treatment or therapy, a doctor might recommend concentrated amounts of a plasma fraction. An example of such is protein-rich cryoprecipitate, which is obtained by freezing and then thawing plasma. This insoluble portion of plasma is rich in coagulation factors and is usually given to patients to stop bleeding. Other treatments may involve a product that contains a blood fraction, whether in trace amounts or as a primary ingredient. Some plasma proteins are used in routine injections that can help to increase immunity after exposure to infectious agents. Nearly all blood fractions being used in medical applications consist of the proteins found in blood plasma

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ok, so I guess they are saying it's a conscience matter but at the same time underscoring the fact it's made from blood. As usual...

Thanks for taking the time to share that.

• pirata
    pirata

Please correct me if I am wrong. According to what I read, both cyrsupernatant and cryoprecipitate are a conscience matter. So they are only condemning the outer membrane?

There is no membrane in Plasma (you may be thinking of Hemoglobin, which is the inner part of the red blood cell removed from the Membrane, and then sythesized to make it safe to put in the bloodstream). It's like peeling an orange, throwing away the peel, and then caramelizing it for a nice snack (and then saying that you abstain from oranges)).

Plasma is mostly water with lots of "stuff" in it. Cryoprecipitate is the a collection of fractions (Factor VII, fibrinogen, vWF, and factor XIII) removed from the plasma. The remaining "stuff" is called the Cryosupernatant.

Recombine these, and you have plasma again.

All the "major blood fractions" float around in the water that makes up the majority of "plasma". It just so happens that if you take blood, add an anticoagulant, and then spin it really hard, the white and red blood cells will "naturally" seperate. This is used as justification for the "major" fractions (although the disallowed major fraction, platelets, still remain suspended in the plasma).

Interestingly, some of the allowed "minor fractions" of plasma, make up a greater percentage of the blood than the disallowed blood cells.

One reason fractions are allowed is because of scientific evidence that certain plasma "fractions" are passed from fetus to mother during pregnancy. Strangely, although white blood cells are passed from mother to baby in breast milk, they are not allowed.

It's a bloody mess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit