The JW 2011 Facebook exodus begins...

by baltar447 20 Replies latest jw friends

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I've had three Witness friends close accounts since the convention, one new one.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I don't know, my aunt (mother of my dearly beloved jw cousin and a long time jw herself) just signed up to FB and friended me. She posted on my wall a couple of days ago.

• drummer4scr
    drummer4scr

I used to dread the District Convention when i was a kid, for obvious reasons, but also because my parents would always put away our TV and go through my music and start having the family study again. It only lasted a few weeks each time but they did it every year! What a joke! Those facebookers will be back, J-dubs love gossip and what better place for gossip then facebook!

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Hated it all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If they delete their facebook accounts could they switch it back on again intact, or would they need to start again from scratch?

• talesin
    talesin

DC this week or next - I have one (beloved) relative that talks to me (it's our secret). So, I told that relative "please don't stop speaking to me after the DC".... "why, do you know something I don't (said w/ humour)" .... "yes, well, I learn stuff online"

We don't discuss the religion/doctrine, etc. by agreement,,, unless that person asks me a question... don't want to lose this connection.... :(

t

• dozy
    dozy

You can immediately restart your Facebook account so it isn't really any hassle to temporarily cancel it.

A couple of the local congregations elder / ms wives closed their accounts after the elder's school but they have since re-opened them , so I would guess any post convention closing would be temporary , until the dust settles. The most prolific JW Facebookers I know are JW missionaries (I suppose it is a great way of keeping in contact & provides some welcome respite from some miserable third world Governing Body "assignment"). The latest Awake articles seemed to be quite positive about Facebook , although they did mention the importance of security settings.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

slimboyfat, they can 'deactivate' and then reactivate when they want to go back. Most of the dubs I know do that on a regular basis, depending on how recently there has been counsel about social networking sites.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Well, I don't have any JW friends on facebook (yay) so I can't really say what's going on with that whole crapola...wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's a huge faction of dubs who will feel the guilty pang after the DC and disappear from the interwebz.

I did however want to say hallooo to Baltar. Seeing your avatar yesterday prompted me to pop Battlestar Galactica into the DVD. Yes, I have the whole series...LOVE IT!!

• baltar447
    baltar447

Hey poopsiecakes, it is a good series. I may have to go back and watch it again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit