Why can't atheist just prove from the bible that God doesn't exist?'

by Joliette 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Prove from the vedas vishnu doesn't exist.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Prove from my drunken texting at 3 a.m. that I didn't have sex with the hot bartender.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

omg Joliette, how did you not fall off your chair laughing your ass off??

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

The problem is the circularity of the biblical argument: we believe the Bible because it tells us that it is the word of God and God cannot be wrong so the Bible must be true.

If it is important to you to disabuse your father of his notions, I might suggest the two mainstays of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, "The God Delusion" and "God is not Great", respectively. However, people will believe what they want to believe and until they want to know for sure that what they believe is sound, they will be unable to hear what you have to say.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

All the gods that were spoken about in human history never really existed but they did serve as an answer to the many ignorances that

those people had about the world they lived in , the same world we live in today.

The sun being the mostly chosen identifiable object as being a god in the many diverse ancient civilizations.

• Terry
    Terry

The basis for proving something true is whether it matches reality.

A book like the Book of Mormon or the Koran or Moby Dick or even the bible is only "true" in a limited sense of what "true" can be.

Once people accept a book and declare it supernaturally "true" there is no point in reasoning with them or arguing.

The mind is made up and that is that.

Mormon's aren't ever going to change their minds.

Muslims aren't either.

Fans of the great white whale probably already know it isn't a true story.

Christians would hardly consider NOT believing God had everything to do with the bible.

You can't change a Yankee fan or Ford truck lover into something else. It is part of who they think they are.

Let your dad be who he is and change the subject.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Hmmm, I wonder if the Muslims believe God exists? Can we prove Allah does not exist using the Koran?

That's how I might frame it.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Ask him to prove the God he worships exists without the Bible. If he says something like "look at the creation" ask him to prove that it wasn't a Hindu God that created everything.

• trevor
    trevor

Most atheists spend their time trying to prove that a god does exist - but have so far failed to do so.

• trevor
    trevor

Most atheists spend their time trying to prove that a god does exist - but have so far failed to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit