Why can't atheist just prove from the bible that God doesn't exist?'

by Joliette 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

Me and my dad was having a convo this morning. We got on the subject of atheist and agnostics. My dad said that didnt understand how a person could be atheist or agnostic. He said that atheist couldnt prove that God didnt exist, and that they had no grounds for there reasoning. And if he ever found out that anyone that he hung out with was atheist or agnostic, he would have to stop hanging around them. He said no atheist had ever been able to prove from the bible that God isnt real.

I dont know what to think or say, because I'm his daughter and I'm an agnostic (at least at this point in my life) and I just dont know if God really exist. I can't really say at this point. But one thing I do think is that the WTBTS are false prophets. Then, he says that the brothers have made mistakes, and they people make their own choices.

I HAVE TO READ combatting mind control by Steve Hassan.

• alg1052
    alg1052

Atheist do not believe in the Bible.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Thank you! That was my point to him!

• whereami
    whereami

Ask him to prove to you Harry Potter doesn't exist using the Harry Potter novel.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

A couple of things:

1) In order for the Bible to be a legitimate source, the God of the Bible MUST exist. Therefore any proof for God from the Bible is completely meaningless. It may be possible to prove that the God of the Bible is logically impossible, but even if it weren't, it doesn't matter. It is perfectly possible for a work of fiction to be logically consistent. You know it's a work of fiction by comparing it to the actual world.

2) Your father is only including one of many possible God's, all of which have virtually identical "proof" of their existance.

3) Your father also leaves out the possibility that the "True God" is not any of the Gods that mankind has imagined.

EDIT: whereami put it so much more succinctly. LoL.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Cuz atheist are just sooo stupid to find the verse in the bible that says that all its just a myth.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Does your dad have to prove that there are no fairies living at the bottom of his garden if a local Gypsy believes there are?

• wobble
    wobble

Hey B.S,

Us Gyppos (people from Egypt) know there are pharaohs at the bottom of our garden.

Ask Dad to prove any negative, he cannot, as said above.

The onus is on him to prove there is a god, and not using the Bible to do so of course.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard
    Ask him to prove to you Harry Potter doesn't exist using the Harry Potter novel.

An excellent analogy whereami.

I must remember that.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Go to "thinking atheist" channel and You-tube - there's some great arguments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit