Annoying JW Vegan....

by lalaa 49 Replies latest jw friends

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

I have been away for a few days.....

Just a couple of quotes (there are many -- too many more) from the book, "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz:

"According to the Congressional testimony of one former Perdue worker, the poultry plants are filthy. She said there were flies, rats, and 5-inch long flying cockroaches covering the walls and floors".

Believe it or not it gets worse: "After they are hung, somethimes the chickens fall off into the drain that runs down the middle of the line. This is where roaches, intestines, diseased parts, fecal contamination, and blood are washed down. Workers vomit into the drain...Employees are constantly chewing and spitting out snuff and tobacco on the floor....sometimes they have to relieve themselves on the floor...The Perdue supervisors told us to take the fallen chickens out of the drain and send them down the line.

A USDA inspector said of the cockroaches, "One time we shined a flashlight into a hole they were crawling in and out, and they were so thick it was like maggots, you couldn't even see the surface".

A worker at another poultry plant said, "Every day, I saw black chicken, green chicken, chicken that stank, and chicken with feces on it. Chicken like this is supposed to be thrown away, but instead it would be sent down the line to be processed." Another worker at another plant said, "I personally have seen rotten meat -- you can tell by the odor. This rotten meat is mixed with the fresh meat and sold for baby food. We are asked to mix it with the fresh food, and this is the way it is sold. You can see the worms insede the meat."

Am I crazy that these things bothered me?

If they don't bother you, I would not try to persuade you at all. Have at it. BON APPETIT.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

With a bit of effort, you could write some disgusting sounding treatise on the production of vegetables.

You could even start with the E-coli fiasco in Europe at the moment.

Trotting out worst case scenarios as proof of anything is an old trick. Don't fall for it. Especially don't let yourself develop phobias on the basis of some drama queen who won't bother to tell you when she, or her children, develop health issues.

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

Your comments don't change anything about the eye-witness accounts in "Slaughterhouse".

I did not write the "treatise".

I don't think I am "phobic". In fact I had chicken for dinner tonite (the last bit of meat in my freezer, which I believe should not be thrown out). As I said initially, I am "almost vegan", still making the transition.

I will continue to investigate the facts and make my decisions accordingly.

And again, I would never try to persuade you.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Just make sure they are facts.

I've seen some sensible looking arguments for vegan/veg that were based on faulty research and assumptions that were far from reality. A bit like reading a Watchtower.

Don't forget to check out the apostates

http://beyondveg.com/

Cheers

Chris

• talesin
    talesin

Agreeing with Black Sheep here. We had an e. coli outbreak in Canada a while back -- it was on field greens or spinach -- prepackaged, in the grocery store. Wash your greens! I eat spinach salad 4-5 times a week, and though the package says "organic and prewashed",,, I just don't trust industry to take care of business pour moi.

Veganism doesn't prevent you from eating pesticides and chemicals -- you still have to carefully examine how the produce is farmed.

If you are concerned about hormones/antibiotics in meat,,,, then buy from a LOCAL farmer,,, get to know her/him --- same for your veg. I try to do this as much as I can afford to, though I still have to buy things like bananas and oranges from the grocery store. (NOT a vegetarian myself, but I eat meat less than most folks) By the way,,, ALL PORK sold in Canadian grocery stores has MSG and other chemicals in it,,, unless specified OTHERWISE - I checked with the Meat Managers at both of the major chains here (one is national, the other Maritimes-based). The other point that some may think is loony, but I believe valid -- do you want to eat animals that were tortured their whole life? (eg, KFC chicken and 'white' veal)

I have quite a few vegetarian friends, and a couple vegan ones. They are NOT preachy, and only give information when asked, not lectures. It's just the kind of people I hang with. I must have similar friends as Magwitch. :D

A coworker like that would drive me nuts! I can't offer any better suggestions than you've already gotten. Good luck dealing with her.

t

• watersprout
    watersprout

My Uncle used to work in a slaughterhouse... He is a thug, nasty piece of work... Not a jw either!

He had to leave as the state of the slaughterhouse was soo bad. The animals were tortured... It was horrific. Sometimes what you read is true... Unless it's media hype!

Each to there own... I bought some organic chicken the other week, it was well in date and when I opened the packet the stench made me heave. It doesn't matter if it's organic or not. Flesh is flesh and when it's killed it starts to rot.

Peace

• watersprout
    watersprout

Creative spirit, I have just read some excerpts from that book and it has distressed me greatly... I have been in tears.

Just glad I'm already a veggie.

Peace

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

Chris,

Thx for the link. I will sift through this info.

I think anyone contemplating a vegan/vegetarian regimen should be informed as there are some deficiencies, but there are also solutions and ways to compensate.

The main thing is to make choices consciously, -- THINK -- which I confess I have not done until now. (Sounds kind of like an unconscious JW, doesn't it.)

Watersprout -- Yes, the book is very disturbing. How can we do this to the animals and to ourselves? All for the sake of $ and expediency. Makes you wonder what kind of a person can possibly hold down that job -- ah, but you told me.

Sending you love,

C.S.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Creative spirit, I have just read some excerpts from that book and it has distressed me greatly... I have been in tears.
    Just glad I'm already a veggie.
    Peace

Welllllll, if you weren't already a veggie, you wouldn't be such a weak sap and you could handle it! Man up Madam!!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Talesin, the more I see of you the more I like you. If that is detrimental to your reputation, just let me know and I will cease speaking of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit