June 2011 Watchtower & Poverty (public edition)

by FrankWTower 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

I have a part this week about the June Awake & Watchtower. After reading some of the paragraphs in the Watchtower, I have this opinion to share:

I really wish the WT would stop trying to teach witnesses about their biased views of history and economic theory. Every paragraph contains loaded language and generalizations about humanity and the causes for poverty. I would love to be able to stand in front of the congregation and tell them that in fact, the world is getting better every day. Even if you take into account environmental degradation, the quality of life for most people in the world is improving. Yes Watchtower Society, there is an answer to poverty; and it's not you or "Jehovah's kingdom."

This is from The Economist in 2008:

• 25 years ago in China, over 600M people were living on < $1/day. Today this number is 180M … meaning 420M+ people are now above this level.
    • Between 1999 and 2004, 135M people worldwide rose from < $1/day to above this level. This is more people, more quickly than at any other time in history.
    • In South Asia, the number of people without clean water has halved since 1990.
    • In 1975, 75% of people aged 15-25 were literate. Now the rate is almost 90%.
    • In 1970, the fertility rate in East Asia/Pacific was 5.4 and now is 2.1 In South Asia, it was 60 and now is 3.1. Overall, global fertility has fallen from 4.8 to 2.6 in 25 years. Africa has all but one of the countries with fertility rates above 5.0.
    • A World Bank study noted that every 1% increase in national income her person in an emerging country translated in 1.3% fall in extreme poverty.
    • In 2007, the global economy entered its fifth year of over 4% growth — the longest period of expansion since the 1970′s. Also, trade grew 9% despite all of the challenges.
    • Almost half of all humans lives in countries with growth of more than 7% per year (which doubles the economy every decade).
    • Inequality has risen in both rich and poor countries overall, but there are examples where this is not true questioning whether globalization is the main culprit of inequality. The Economist argues that lack of [quality] education is likely the biggest culprit.
    • In 1990, more than 25% of people in developing countries lived on < $1/day. At current rates, this will be 10% by 2015.
    • Income is not the only way to quantify improvement for the poor. Monetary measures understate the real gains from things such as lower child mortality, safer water, literacy and other social achievements.
    • A study shows that the number of conflicts (international and civil) fell from over 50 at the start of the 1990′s to just over 30 in 2005. The number of international wars peaked in the 1970′s and have been falling ever since. The death toll in battle fell from over 200,000 a year in the mid-1990′s to below 20,000 in the mid-2000′s. [The WHO has higher numbers.]
    • The number of incidents of terrorism has increased since 2001 although the number is still very small.
  • man in black
    man in black

i enjoy your viewpoint, but why are you bothering to actually give a part on the meeting when you don't believe / agree with the material that you are presenting ?

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

Talk yourself out of giving the part. You're going to have trouble lying to everyone after looking all of that up. I cannot comment from the WT anymore, I get the shakes, all I can do is read cited scriptures and Bible readings in the school.

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos
    ...why are you bothering to actually give a part on the meeting when you don't believe / agree with the material that you are presenting ?

I have to second that. By sharing this information with us, you actually come out looking a lot worst than the watchtower in this situtation. Better to teach a biased view of history than to be a hypocrite and a liar.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this concept.

LS

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I have the same part (demonstration right?)!

This is what I'll propose to the dude giving the talk:

- Hi my name is ..., what is yours?

- Blah

- Well, Blah, you may have noticed that over the last few decades humanity as a whole is slowly getting out of poverty and have increased access to healthcare. Do you think humanity is going to continue on this path or do you think a more drastic approach is needed

- <Who cares what you say response>

- Well, in this article it discusses how God will soon destroy all people that do not believe in his kingdom (there is an introduction like that in the reasoning book, look it up, I'll use that). Would you like to read it.

- Yes, generic ending

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

Oh come on guys. Don't you know that it's hard to leave the WT? My "eyes" were opened within the last 2 years. Coming out to my friends and family now would be a huge mistake. The void created by the WT is too big for me to deal with at the moment. I have to establish relationships with people outside of the WT. I have to find a non-jw girl (cuz i'm single) and a new place to live, i need to find a new job, (cuz i work with witnesses). I'm currently planting seeds of critical thinking in my family (if it took me 2+ years to admit that the WT is wrong, it might take them longer). It's going to take time. Telling them the truth would mean being labeled an apostate, my life would come crashing down. For now, I have to keep playing the role of good jw.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

@Anony Mous - I am sure that they would clap it they were allowed... lol - People really do not pay attention to the details of what you say. They will just assume that you said what you were supposed to say.

@FrankWTower - Yeah, it is not easy. That was the reason I HAD TO RESIGN as an elder. I could not, for example, read and talk from the platform about how other religions hide their pedophiles, proving that they are being controlled by Satan, when I clearly knew that the WTS was doing exactly the same thing payint millions to keep a series of pedophiles cases to hit the courts.

On the other hand, I also know it is not easy to just quit or come out. Let me tell you, once your eyes are open, a pressure builds inside you and the dissonance increases until you HAVE to make a decision. At least that is what happened in my case and now I am outside and I feel great. In the end, actually, it is up to you and your inner self.

VlV

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I understand where you are at. I did talks for years after I started doubting. If I disagreed with the talk too strongly I would say I could not make that meeting. Eventually I didn't agree with any of the outlines and stopped giving talks.

• dozy
    dozy

I know where you are coming from , Frank. The WTBTS gives such a one sided negative view of the world - how often do you hear Aids mentioned nowadays since it has peaked & anti-viral drugs have proved effective treatments?

Like JWFacts & others , I used to edit talks until eventually I couldn't give them in good conscience & allocate school items (I was the TMS overseer) that I didn't agree with to other elders. I found myself constantly giving "correcting" & "balancing" comments during the Watchtower when these blanket negative assertions were made ( eg when the WT claimed or a JW answered that none of the churches of Christendom believe in the bible I would comment that many churches & churchgoers do believe that it was inspired & to be followed , though we may not agree with some of their doctrines ).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit